Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure
AbstractIn this paper, we propose two parametric alternatives to the standard GARCH model. They allow the conditional variance to have a smooth time-varying structure of either additive or multiplicative type. The suggested parameterizations describe both nonlinearity and structural change in the conditional and unconditional variances where the transition between regimes over time is smooth. A modelling strategy for these new time-varying parameter GARCH models is developed. It relies on a sequence of Lagrange multiplier tests, and the adequacy of the estimated models is investigated by Lagrange multiplier type misspecification tests. Finite-sample properties of these procedures and tests are examined by simulation. An empirical application to daily stock returns and another one to daily exchange rate returns illustrate the functioning and properties of our modelling strategy in practice. The results show that the long memory type behaviour of the sample autocorrelation functions of the absolute returns can also be explained by deterministic changes in the unconditional variance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 691.
Length: 56 pages
Date of creation: 24 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Amado, Cristina and Timo Teräsvirta, 'Modelling volatility by variance decomposition' in Journal of Econometrics, 2013, pages 142-153.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Conditional heteroskedasticity; Structural change; Lagrange multiplier test; Misspecification test; Nonlinear time series; Time-varying parameter model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Cristina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure," NIPE Working Papers 03/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Christina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure," CREATES Research Papers 2008-08, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-02-02 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-02-02 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Jose Gonzalo Rangel, 2005. "The Spline GARCH Model for Unconditional Volatility and its Global Macroeconomic Causes," Working Papers 2005/13, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Stefan Lundbergh & Timo Teräsvirta, 1999.
"Evaluating GARCH Models,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-008/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2003.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Vector Arma-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 280-310, April.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Morana, Claudio, 2009.
"Modelling long memory and structural breaks in conditional variances: An adaptive FIGARCH approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1577-1592, August.
- Richard T. Baillie & Claudio Morana, 2007. "Modeling Long Memory and Structural Breaks in Conditional Variances: an Adaptive FIGARCH Approach," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1990. "A Unified Approach to Robust, Regression-Based Specification Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 17-43, March.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-34, April.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995.
"Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996. "Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2007.
"Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
327, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008. "Ergodicity, Mixing, And Existence Of Moments Of A Class Of Markov Models With Applications To Garch And Acd Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1291-1320, October.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2004. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 573, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 20 Apr 2007.
- Teräsvirta, Timo & Zhao, Zhenfang, 2007.
"Stylized Facts of Return Series, Robust Estimates, and Three Popular Models of Volatility,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
662, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Jun 2007.
- Timo Terasvirta & Zhenfang Zhao, 2011. "Stylized facts of return series, robust estimates and three popular models of volatility," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1-2), pages 67-94.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Berkes, Istv n & Gombay, Edit & Horv th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2004. "SEQUENTIAL CHANGE-POINT DETECTION IN GARCH(p,q) MODELS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1140-1167, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & White, Halbert, 2004. "On more robust estimation of skewness and kurtosis," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 56-73, March.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2004. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Garch," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1203-1226, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & DUFAYS, Arnaud & DE BACKER, Bruno, 2011. "Estimating and forecasting structural breaks in financial time series," CORE Discussion Papers 2011055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fernando Alexandre & Miguel Portela & Carla Sá, 2008.
"Admission conditions and graduates' employability,"
NIPE Working Papers
16/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Frijns, Bart & Lehnert, Thorsten & Zwinkels, Remco C.J., 2011.
"Modeling structural changes in the volatility process,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 522-532, June.
- Thorsten Lehnert & Bart Frijns & Remco C.J. Zwinkels, 2010. "Modelling structural changes in the volatility process," LSF Research Working Paper Series 10-05, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Claudio Morana, 2010. "Heteroskedastic Factor Vector Autoregressive Estimation of Persistent and Non Persistent Processes Subject to Structural Breaks," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 36-2010, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Błażej Mazur & Mateusz Pipień, 2012. "On the Empirical Importance of Periodicity in the Volatility of Financial Returns - Time Varying GARCH as a Second Order APC(2) Process," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 4(2), pages 95-116, June.
- Rohan, Neelabh, 2013. "A time varying GARCH(p,q) model and related statistical inference," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(9), pages 1983-1990.
- Natália P. Monteiro & Paulo Bastos, 2009.
"Managers and wage policies,"
NIPE Working Papers
2/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Francesco Battaglia & Mattheos Protopapas, 2009.
"Time-varying Multi-regime Models Fitting by Genetic Algorithms,"
- Francesco Battaglia & Mattheos K. Protopapas, 2011. "Time‐varying multi‐regime models fitting by genetic algorithms," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 237-252, 05.
- Adnen Ben Nasr & Mohamed Boutahar & Abdelwahed Trabelsi, 2010. "Fractionally integrated time varying GARCH model," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 399-430, August.
- Adnen Ben Nasr & Ahdi N. Ajmi & Rangan Gupta, 2013. "Modeling the Volatility of the Dow Jones Islamic Market World Index Using a Fractionally Integrated Time Varying GARCH (FITVGARCH) Model," Working Papers 201357, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Claudio Morana, 2013. "Factor Vector Autoregressive Estimation of Heteroskedastic Persistent and Non Persistent Processes Subject to Structural Breaks: New Insights on the US OIS SPreads Term Structure," Working Papers 233, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.