SEQUENTIAL CHANGE-POINT DETECTION IN GARCH(p,q) MODELS
AbstractWe suggest a sequential monitoring scheme to detect changes in the parameters of a GARCH(p,q) sequence. The procedure is based on quasi-likelihood scores and does not use model residuals. Unlike for linear regression models, the squared residuals of nonlinear time series models such as generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity (GARCH) do not satisfy a functional central limit theorem with a Wiener process as a limit, so its boundary crossing probabilities cannot be used. Our procedure nevertheless has an asymptotically controlled size, and, moreover, the conditions on the boundary function are very simple; it can be chosen as a constant. We establish the asymptotic properties of our monitoring scheme under both the null of no change in parameters and the alternative of a change in parameters and investigate its finite-sample behavior by means of a small simulation study.This research was partially supported by NSF grant INT-0223262 and NATO grant PST.CLG.977607. The work of the first author was supported by the Hungarian National Foundation for Scientific Research, grants T 29621, 37886; the work of the second author was supported by NSERC Canada.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cristina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2011.
"Modelling Volatility by Variance Decomposition,"
NIPE Working Papers
01/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Zhou, Yong & Wan, Alan T.K. & Xie, Shangyu & Wang, Xiaojing, 2010. "Wavelet analysis of change-points in a non-parametric regression with heteroscedastic variance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 183-201, November.
- Andreou, Elena & Ghysels, Eric, 2006. "Monitoring disruptions in financial markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 77-124.
- Bardet, Jean-Marc & Kengne, William, 2014. "Monitoring procedure for parameter change in causal time series," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 125(C), pages 204-221.
- Christina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008.
"Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-08, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Cristina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure," NIPE Working Papers 03/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Amado, Cristina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2008. "Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 691, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Xu, Ke-Li, 2013. "Powerful tests for structural changes in volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 126-142.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2004. "Monitoring for Disruptions in Financial Markets," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-26, CIRANO.
- Błażej Mazur & Mateusz Pipień, 2012. "On the Empirical Importance of Periodicity in the Volatility of Financial Returns - Time Varying GARCH as a Second Order APC(2) Process," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 4(2), pages 95-116, June.
- Aue, Alexander & Horváth, Lajos & Reimherr, Matthew L., 2009. "Delay times of sequential procedures for multiple time series regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 149(2), pages 174-190, April.
- Isakov , Alexander, 2013. "Stress indicator construction for internal money market," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 30(2), pages 77-92.
- Mihaela Craioveanu & Eric Hillebrand, 2012. "Level changes in volatility models," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 277-308, May.
- Okyoung Na & Youngmi Lee & Sangyeol Lee, 2011. "Monitoring parameter change in time series models," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 171-199, June.
- Lee, Sangyeol & Park, Siyun, 2009. "The monitoring test for the stability of regression models with nonstationary regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 250-252, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.