Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden
AbstractThis paper examines two broad issues related to foreign investment by Swedish multinationals: first the effects of outward foreign direct investment on domestic investment, exports, and employment, and second, the effects on the domestic economy from the increasing division of labor between the parents and foreign affiliates of Swedish MNCs. The paper summarizes and synthesizes the existing empirical evidence on these matters (much of which has hitherto only been available in Swedish) and discusses some possible long run effects that have not received much attention in the literature.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 3.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Jan 1994
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Canadian-Based Multinationals, Globerman, S. (eds.), University of Calgary Press.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Foreign investment; multinational firms; home country effects; Sweden;
Other versions of this item:
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1995. "Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden," NBER Working Papers 4639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden," CEPR Discussion Papers 931, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Lennart Ohlsson, 1991. "What Do Rich Countries Trade with Each Other? R&D and the Composition of U.S. and Swedish Trade," NBER Working Papers 3140, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1993. "The Effect of Multinational Firms' Operations on Their Domestic Employment," NBER Working Papers 2760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordan GL & Valhne JE, 1981. "Domestic employment effects of direct investment abroad by two Swedish multinationals," ILO Working Papers 209169, International Labour Organization.
- Peter Egger, .
"European Exports and Outward Foreign Direct Investment. A Dynamic Panel Data Approach,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Egger, 2001. "European exports and outward foreign direct investment: A dynamic panel data approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(3), pages 427-449, September.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2000.
"Outward Investment, Employment and Wages in Swedish Multinationals,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
408, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2000. "Outward Investment, Employment, and Wages in Swedish Multinationals," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 76-89, Autumn.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2000. "Outward Investment, Employment and Wages in Swedish Multinationals," CEPR Discussion Papers 2524, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W. Hejazi & A. Safarian, 2001. "The complementarity between U.S. foreign direct investment stock and trade," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(4), pages 420-437, December.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
200, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1787-97, November.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Working Paper Series 490, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Gunnar Fors & Robert E. Lipsey, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," NBER Working Papers 6205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Pajot, 1997. "How Foreign Direct Investment Affects International Trade and Competitiveness: an Empirical Assessment," Working Papers 1997-17, CEPII research center.
- Cheng, Leonard K. & Qiu, Larry D. & Tan, Guofu, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and international trade in a continuum Ricardian trade model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 477-501, August.
- Manuela Magalhães & Ana Paula Africano, 2007.
"A Panel Analysis of the FDI Impact on International Trade,"
FEP Working Papers
235, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Manuela Magalhães & Ana Paula Africano, 2007. "A Panel Analysis of the FDI Impact on International Trade," NIPE Working Papers 6/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Iammarin, Simona & Pitelis, Christos, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment and "Less Favoured Regions". Greek FDI in Bulgaria and Romania," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa300, European Regional Science Association.
- David N. Figlio & Bruce A. Blonigen, 1999. "The Effects of Direct Foreign Investment on Local Communities," NBER Working Papers 7274, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Athanasios Kalogeresis & Lois Labrianidis, 2010. "From spectator to walk-on to actor: An exploratory study of the internationalisation of Greek firms since 1989," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 7(1), pages 121-143, June.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Daniel Navia Simon, 2006. "Why Banks go to Emerging Countries and What is the Impact for the Home Economy? A Survey," Working Papers 0602, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Leonard K. Cheng, 2000. "Technology Transfer, Foreign Direct Investment and International Trade," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1777, Econometric Society.
- Terutomo Ozawa & Sergio Castello, 2001. "Toward an 'International Business' Paradigm of Endogenous Growth: Multinationals and Governments as Co-Endogenisers," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 211-228.
- M.T. Alguacil & V. Orts, . "A multivariate cointegrated model testing for temporal causality between exports and outward FDI: The Spanish case," Studies on the Spanish Economy 50, FEDEA.
- Alicia Garcia Herrero & Daniel Navia Simon, 2004. "Determinants And Impact Of Financial Sector Fdi To Emerging," International Finance 0403001, EconWPA.
- Huiqun Liu & Jinyong Lu, 2011. "The home-employment effect of FDI from developing countries: in the case of China," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 173-182, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.