Lognormal Approximation of Complex Pathdependent Pension Scheme Payoffs
AbstractThis paper analyzes an explicit return smoothing mechanism which has recently been introduced as part of a new type of pension savings contract that has been offered by Danish life insurers. We establish the payoff function implied by the return smoothing mechanism and show that its probabilistic properties are accurately approximated by a suitably adapted lognormal distribution. The quality of the lognormal approximation is explored via a range of simulation based numerical experiments, and we point to several other potential practical applications of the paperâs theoretical results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance in its series Working Papers with number 2006-9.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Finance, Copenhagen Business School, Solbjerg Plads 3, A5, DK-2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Phone: +45 3815 3815
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/departments/finance/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jørgensen, Peter Løchte, 2006. "Lognormal Approximation of Complex Path-dependent Pension Scheme Payoffs," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-09, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grosen, Anders & J Rgensen, Peter L Chte, 2002. "The bonus-crediting mechanism of Danish pension and life insurance companies: an empirical analysis," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 249-268, November.
- Asbjørn T. Hansen & Peter Løchte Jørgensen, 2000. "Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1116-1136, August.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Guillen, Montserrat & Jorgensen, Peter Lochte & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2006. "Return smoothing mechanisms in life and pension insurance: Path-dependent contingent claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-252, April.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Nondal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.