Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options
AbstractThis article derives the first analytical pricing formulas for American-style Asian options of the so-called floating strike type. Geometric as well as arithmetic averaging is considered. The setup is a standard Black-Scholes framework where the price of the underlying security evolves according to a geometric Brownian motion. A decomposition result that splits up the value of the floating strike American option into the price of an otherwise equivalent European option and an early exercise premium is first presented. This decomposition result is then manipulated further for the two separate types of averaging. With geometric averaging we derive an exact pricing formula, whereas with arithmetic averaging we develop an analytical approximation formula that proves to be very precise. Numerical examples are provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
asian options; american options; analytical valuation formulas; numerical work; change of numeraire;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfredo Ibáñez, 2003. "Robust Pricing of the American Put Option: A Note on Richardson Extrapolation and the Early Exercise Premium," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1210-1228, September.
- Manuel Moreno & Javier F. Navas, 2003.
"Australian Asian options,"
Economics Working Papers
680, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Tomas Bokes & Daniel Sevcovic, 2009. "Early exercise boundary for American type of floating strike Asian option and its numerical approximation," Papers 0912.1321, arXiv.org.
- Andrea, Pascucci, 2007.
"Free boundary and optimal stopping problems for American Asian options,"
4766, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Pascucci, 2008. "Free boundary and optimal stopping problems for American Asian options," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 21-41, January.
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam & Bin Gao & Jing-zhi Huang, 1998.
"The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-067, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gao, Bin & Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti, 2000. "The valuation of American barrier options using the decomposition technique," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1783-1827, October.
- Tomas Bokes, 2010. "A unified approach to determining the early exercise boundary position at expiry for American style of general class of derivatives," Papers 1012.0348, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2011.
- Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2006.
"Lognormal Approximation of Complex Pathdependent Pension Scheme Payoffs,"
2006-9, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- Jørgensen, Peter Løchte, 2006. "Lognormal Approximation of Complex Path-dependent Pension Scheme Payoffs," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-09, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Fard, Farzad Alavi & Siu, Tak Kuen, 2013. "Pricing participating products with Markov-modulated jump–diffusion process: An efficient numerical PIDE approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 712-721.
- B. Gao J. Huang, . "The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-002, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Bernard, Carole & MacKay, Anne & Muehlbeyer, Max, 2014. "Optimal surrender policy for variable annuity guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 116-128.
- Siu, Tak Kuen, 2005. "Fair valuation of participating policies with surrender options and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 533-552, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.