Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options
AbstractThis article derives the first analytical pricing formulas for American-style Asian options of the so-called floating strike type. Geometric as well as arithmetic averaging is considered. The setup is a standard Black-Scholes framework where the price of the underlying security evolves according to a geometric Brownian motion. A decomposition result that splits up the value of the floating strike American option into the price of an otherwise equivalent European option and an early exercise premium is first presented. This decomposition result is then manipulated further for the two separate types of averaging. With geometric averaging we derive an exact pricing formula, whereas with arithmetic averaging we develop an analytical approximation formula that proves to be very precise. Numerical examples are provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
asian options; american options; analytical valuation formulas; numerical work; change of numeraire;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- B. Gao J. Huang, . "The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-002, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2006.
"Lognormal Approximation of Complex Pathdependent Pension Scheme Payoffs,"
2006-9, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- Jørgensen, Peter Løchte, 2006. "Lognormal Approximation of Complex Path-dependent Pension Scheme Payoffs," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-09, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Alfredo Ibáñez, 2003. "Robust Pricing of the American Put Option: A Note on Richardson Extrapolation and the Early Exercise Premium," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1210-1228, September.
- Andrea Pascucci, 2008.
"Free boundary and optimal stopping problems for American Asian options,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 21-41, January.
- Andrea, Pascucci, 2007. "Free boundary and optimal stopping problems for American Asian options," MPRA Paper 4766, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manuel Moreno & Javier F. Navas, 2003.
"Australian Asian options,"
Economics Working Papers
680, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Tomas Bokes, 2010. "A unified approach to determining the early exercise boundary position at expiry for American style of general class of derivatives," Papers 1012.0348, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2011.
- Tomas Bokes & Daniel Sevcovic, 2009. "Early exercise boundary for American type of floating strike Asian option and its numerical approximation," Papers 0912.1321, arXiv.org.
- Siu, Tak Kuen, 2005. "Fair valuation of participating policies with surrender options and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 533-552, December.
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam & Bin Gao & Jing-zhi Huang, 1998.
"The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-067, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gao, Bin & Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti, 2000. "The valuation of American barrier options using the decomposition technique," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1783-1827, October.
- Bernard, Carole & MacKay, Anne & Muehlbeyer, Max, 2014. "Optimal surrender policy for variable annuity guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 116-128.
- Fard, Farzad Alavi & Siu, Tak Kuen, 2013. "Pricing participating products with Markov-modulated jump–diffusion process: An efficient numerical PIDE approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 712-721.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.