Explaining champagne prices in Scandinavia - what is the best predictor?
AbstractThis paper analyses the retail prices of champagnes sold in the Scandinavian countries. Price data for the champagnes contain nearly 380 observations including a range of quality attributes of each champagne. The empirical part of the analysis reveals that the retail prices of champagne can be fairly well explained by a hedonic price function with a degree of explanation corresponding to approximately 60 per cent. However the ratings by the wine experts, in this case Robert Parker, Wine Spectator and to a lesser extent the French ‘1855 Notation’, do just as well in terms of explaining the retail prices of champagnes. Especially the rating of champagnes by Robert Parker seems to be the most influential concerning the sales prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 07-7.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Aarhus School of Business, Prismet, Silkeborgvej 2, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Phone: +45 89 486396
Fax: +45 8615 5175
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/departments/nat.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Champagne; prices; hedonic price function; Scandinavia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- P46 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Oczkowski, Edward, 2001. "Hedonic Wine Price Functions and Measurement Error," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 374-82, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.