EU Energy Policy and Regional Co-operation in South-East Europe: managing energy security through diversification of supply?
AbstractFor decades after founding the ECSC (1951) the member states have relegated the issue of joint supranational energy policy development. The situation changed decisively in the early 1990s, with the dramatic shift in the geo-politics of the resource-rich Eurasia, following such developments as the collapse of the USSR and the Gulf War. In light of these developments, European states gradually consolidated their position in favour of supranational energy policy development. This paper presents an analysis of developments in EU energy policy given the ongoing realignment of strategic interest. It outlines the process of Europeanization, identifying caveats in the security of energy supply. It then proposes a solution to the main problematic of diversification of hydrocarbons supply through the fostering of regional co-operation amongst the states of South-East Europe (mainly Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey). The paper argues that this is the only viable and lasting solution to EU energy dependency away from Russia, at once showing the fundamental importance of pipeline ‘mapping’ in the area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hellenic Observatory, LSE in its series GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe with number 24.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/
More information through EDIRC
Energy; Regional Co-operation; Europeanization; Transmission Pipelines.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-04-25 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2009-04-25 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-EEC-2009-04-25 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2009-04-25 (Energy Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robst, John & Polachek, Solomon & Chang, Yuan-Ching, 2006. "Geographic Proximity, Trade and International Conflict/Cooperation," IZA Discussion Papers 1988, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gales, Ben & Kander, Astrid & Malanima, Paolo & Rubio, Mar, 2007. "North versus South: Energy transition and energy intensity in Europe over 200 years," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 219-253, August.
- Vining, Aidan R & Boardman, Anthony E, 1992. " Ownership versus Competition: Efficiency in Public Enterprise," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 205-39, March.
- T. Georgakopoulos & K. Prodromidis & J. Loizides, 1987. "Public Enterprises In Greece," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 351-367, October.
- Keith C. Brown, 1989. "Reserves and Reserve Production Ratios In Imperfect Markets," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 177-186.
- Nicholas Apergis, 2011. "Characteristics of inflation in Greece: Mean Spillover Effects among CPI Components," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 43, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Harsem, Øistein & Harald Claes, Dag, 2013. "The interdependence of European–Russian energy relations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 784-791.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis & Jacob A. Jordaan, 2011. "Regional Distribution and Spatial Impact of FDI in Greece: evidence from firm-level data," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 44, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- George Kazamias, 2010. "From Pragmatism to Idealism to Failure: Britain in the Cyprus crisis of 1974," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 42, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassilis Monastiriotis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.