Subsidy competition in integrating economies
AbstractRegional integration affects location decisions of MNCs and therefore influences each member country's provision of investment incentives, which in turn may trigger relocation. As a consequence, subsidy competition increases as integration proceeds. We analyze the welfare consequences of this phenomenon, modelling subsidization as a game between a MNC facing different location alternatives and governments that may deter or induce relocation by means of subsidies. We show that the combination of integration and subsidy competition may lead to an excess of subsidization. We also discuss how the interest of harmonizing subsidies, the net gains from integration crucially depend on technological differences, ownership and the absorption capacity of MNC profits by countries. Lastly, we find that the gain from supranational subsidy coordination increases with integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00590785.
Date of creation: Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00590785
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
multinational corporations ; regional integration ; FDI ; subsidy competition ; location choice;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 2003.
"Regional Tax Coordination and Foreign Direct Investment,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
61, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 2001. "Regional tax coordination and foreign direct investment," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 14, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- H aufler, Andreas & Ian Wootton, 2002. "Regional Tax Coordination and Foreign Direct Investment," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 98, Royal Economic Society.
- Andreas Haufler & Ian Wooton, 2001. "Regional Tax Coordination and Foreign Direct Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 628, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 2001. "Regional Tax Coordination and Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3063, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas Haufler & Ian Wooton, 2001. "Regional Tax Coordination and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 2001_11, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Daniel Chudnovsky & Andrés López, 2004. "Transnational corporations' strategies and foreign trade patterns in MERCOSUR countries in the 1990s," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 635-652, September.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1998.
"International Competition for Multinational Investment,"
14/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Haaland, Jan I & Wooton, Ian, 1999. " International Competition for Multinational Investment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(4), pages 631-49, December.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 1998. "International Competition for Multinational Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1997. "Tax Competition for Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1583, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barros, Pedro P & Cabral, Luis, 2000. "Competing for Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 360-71, May.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1999. "Theories of Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 269-304, June Cita.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2002. "Market Access and Tax Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 2000.
"Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2630, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin; Paul Krugman, 2001. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," IHEID Working Papers 01-2001, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 2002. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," NBER Working Papers 9290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Pearson, Mark, 1995. "European tax harmonisation and production efficiency," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1657-1681, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.