Multivariate utility maximization with proportional transaction costs and random endowment
AbstractIn this paper we deal with a utility maximization problem at finite horizon on a continuous-time market with conical (and time varying) constraints (particularly suited to model a currency market with proportional transaction costs). In particular, we extend the results in Campi and Owen (2011) to the situation where the agent is initially endowed with a random and possibly unbounded quantity of assets. We start by studying some basic properties of the value function (which is now defined on a space of random variables), then we dualize the problem following some convex analysis techniques which have proven very useful in this field of research. We finally prove the existence of a solution to the dual and (under an additional boundedness assumption on the endowment) to the primal problem. The last section of the paper is devoted to an application of our results to utility indifference pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00586377.
Date of creation: 15 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00586377/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Transaction costs ; Foreign exchange market ; Multivariate utility function ; Optimal portfolio ; Duality theory ; Random endowment ; Utility-based pricing;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- (**), Hui Wang & Jaksa Cvitanic & (*), Walter Schachermayer, 2001. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets with random endowment," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 259-272.
- Guasoni, Paolo & Lépinette-Denis, Emmanuel & Rásonyi, Miklós, 2012.
"The fundamental theorem of asset pricing under transaction costs,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/9300, Paris Dauphine University.
- Paolo Guasoni & Emmanuel Lépinette & Miklós Rásonyi, 2012. "The fundamental theorem of asset pricing under transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 741-777, October.
- Y.M. Kabanov, 1999. "Hedging and liquidation under transaction costs in currency markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 237-248.
- Elyés Jouini & Moncef Meddeb & Nizar Touzi, 2004.
"Vector-valued coherent risk measures,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 531-552, November.
- Jouini Elyes & Kallal Hedi, 1995. "Martingales and Arbitrage in Securities Markets with Transaction Costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 178-197, June.
- Giuseppe Benedetti & Luciano Campi & Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2011. "On the Existence of Shadow Prices," Papers 1111.6633, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
- Christoph Czichowsky & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Walter Schachermayer, 2012. "Transaction Costs, Shadow Prices, and Duality in Discrete Time," Papers 1205.4643, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2014.
- Giuseppe Benedetti & Luciano Campi & Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2011. "On the existence of shadow prices," Working Papers hal-00645980, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.