Optimal investment with random endowments in incomplete markets
AbstractIn this paper, we study the problem of expected utility maximization of an agent who, in addition to an initial capital, receives random endowments at maturity. Contrary to previous studies, we treat as the variables of the optimization problem not only the initial capital but also the number of units of the random endowments. We show that this approach leads to a dual problem, whose solution is always attained in the space of random variables. In particular, this technique does not require the use of finitely additive measures and the related assumption that the endowments are bounded.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number math/0405293.
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Annals of Applied Probability 2004, Vol. 14, No. 2, 845-864
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C. & Huang, Chi-fu, 1989. "Optimal consumption and portfolio policies when asset prices follow a diffusion process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 33-83, October.
- Hua He and Neil D. Pearson., 1989.
"Consumption and Portfolio Policies with Incomplete Markets and Short-Sale Constraints: The Finite Dimensional Case,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-189, University of California at Berkeley.
- He, Hua & Pearson, Neil D., 1991. "Consumption and portfolio policies with incomplete markets and short-sale constraints: The infinite dimensional case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 259-304, August.
- Hua He & Neil D. Pearson, 1991. "Consumption and Portfolio Policies With Incomplete Markets and Short-Sale Constraints: the Finite-Dimensional Case," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 1-10.
- Hua He and Neil D. Pearson., 1989. "Consumption and Portfolio Policies with Incomplete Markets and Short-Sale Constraints: The Infinite Dimensional Case," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-191, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kramkov, D.O., 1994. "Optional decomposition of supermartingales and hedging contingent claims in incomplete security markets," Discussion Paper Serie B 294, University of Bonn, Germany.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Duffie, Darrell & Fleming, Wendell & Soner, H. Mete & Zariphopoulou, Thaleia, 1997. "Hedging in incomplete markets with HARA utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 753-782, May.
- Julien Hugonnier & Dmitry Kramkov & Walter Schachermayer, 2005. "On Utility-Based Pricing Of Contingent Claims In Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 203-212.
- Kramkov, D. & Sîrbu, M., 2007. "Asymptotic analysis of utility-based hedging strategies for small number of contingent claims," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(11), pages 1606-1620, November.
- Keita Owari, 2011.
"A Note on Utility Maximization with Unbounded Random Endowment,"
Asia-Pacific Financial Markets,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 89-103, March.
- Keita Owari, 2009. "A Note on Utility Maximization with Unbounded Random Endowment," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-091, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Michail Anthropelos & Nikolaos E. Frangos & Stylianos Z. Xanthopoulos & Athanasios N. Yannacopoulos, 2008. "On contingent claims pricing in incomplete markets: A risk sharing approach," Papers 0809.4781, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2012.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S & Tebaldi, Claudio, 2004. "Illiquid Assets and Optimal Portfolio Choice," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7q65t12x, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Horst, Ulrich & Hu, Ying & Imkeller, Peter & Réveillac, Anthony & Zhang, Jianing, 2014.
"Forward–backward systems for expected utility maximization,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 124(5), pages 1813-1848.
- Ulrich Horst & Ying Hu & Peter Imkeller & Anthony Reveillac, 2011. "Forward-backward systems for expected utility maximization," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-061, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Oleksii Mostovyi, 2011. "Optimal investment with intermediate consumption and random endowment," Papers 1110.2573, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2012.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Žitković, 2010. "Partial equilibria with convex capital requirements: existence, uniqueness and stability," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 107-135, January.
- Dufresne, Pierre Collin & Hugonnier, Julien, 2007. "Pricing and hedging in the presence of extraneous risks," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(6), pages 742-765, June.
- Constantinos Kardaras & Gordan Zitkovic, 2007. "Stability of the utility maximization problem with random endowment in incomplete markets," Papers 0706.0482, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2010.
- Mark Owen & Gordan Zitkovic, 2007. "Optimal Investment with an Unbounded Random Endowment and Utility-Based Pricing," Papers 0706.0478, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2007.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Zitkovic, 2009. "Partial Equilibria with Convex Capital Requirements: Existence, Uniqueness and Stability," Papers 0901.3318, arXiv.org.
- Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Richard Vierthauer, 2009. "Asymptotic Power Utility-Based Pricing and Hedging," Papers 0912.3362, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
- Wiebke Wittmüß, 2006. "Robust Optimization of Consumption with Random Endowment," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-063, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Eduardo S. Schwartz & Claudio Tebaldi, 2006. "Illiquid Assets and Optimal Portfolio Choice," NBER Working Papers 12633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xiang Yu, 2011. "Utility Maximization with Addictive Consumption Habit Formation in Incomplete Semimartingale Markets," Papers 1112.2940, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2014.
- David German, 2010. "Overview of utility-based valuation," Papers 1003.5712, arXiv.org.
- An Chen & Carla Mereu & Robert Stelzer, 2014. "Optimal investment with time-varying stochastic endowments," Papers 1406.6245, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.