Positioning strategies in the case of oligopolistic competition: The case of telecommunications industry in Senegal
AbstractInnovation is the major instigator in competitive industry. The competition for innovation is traditionally analyzed within the framework of deterministic and stochastic models (Reinganum, 1989). Boone (2001), Fethke and Birch (1982) have respectively analyzed the standard models of competitive strategies in a duopoly and oligopoly industry. By focusing our analysis on deterministic models that is, the models without technological uncertainty, this paper attempts to interpret the model of Boone (2001) in order to determine the choice of positioning in a context of cumulative innovation. Thus, taking into account the case of the telecommunications' sector in Senegal, we try to understand the motivations of the incumbent firm (called first mover) to implement cumulative innovation in order to maintain its position in spite of the investments of entering firms (called follower).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00864556.
Date of creation: 18 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, African Journal of Business Management (Academic Journals), 2011, 5, 16, 6651-6656
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00864556
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Innovation; competition; deterministic models; telecommunications industry; Oligopoly;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary C. Fethke & John J. Birch, 1982. "Rivalry and the Timing of Innovation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 272-279, Spring.
- J. David & Thierry Verdier, 1991.
"La structure industrielle dans une course au brevet avec coûts fixes et coûts variables,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(6), pages 1111-1140.
- J. David Pérez-Castrillo & Thierry Verdier, 1991. "La structure industrielle dans une course au brevet avec coûts fixes et coûts variables," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 42(6), pages 1111-1140.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1980. "Industrial Structure and the Nature of Innovative Activity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 266-93, June.
- Lee, Tom & Wilde, Louis L, 1980. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Reformulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 429-36, March.
- Kamien, Morton I & Schwartz, Nancy L, 1974. "Patent Life and R & D Rivalry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(1), pages 183-87, March.
- Kamien, Morton I & Schwartz, Nancy L, 1976. "On the Degree of Rivalry for Maximum Innovative Activity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 245-60, May.
- Richard A. Jensen, 2001. "Strategic Intrafirm Innovation Adoption and Diffusion," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(1), pages 120-132, July.
- Stewart, Marion B, 1983. "Noncooperative Oligopoly and Preemptive Innovation without Winner-Take-All," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 681-94, November.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F., 1989. "The timing of innovation: Research, development, and diffusion," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 849-908 Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.