On the Interaction between Heterogeneity and Decay in Two-way Flow Models
AbstractIn this paper we examine the role played by heterogeneity in the popular “connections model” of Jackson andWolinsky (1996). We prove that under heterogeneity in values or decay involving only two degrees of freedom, all networks can supported as Nash. Moreover, we show that Nash networks may not always exist. In the absence of decay, neither result can be found in a model with value heterogeneity. Finally, we show that on reducing heterogeneity, both the earlier “anything goes” result and the non-existence problem disappear.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00574258.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00574258/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
connections model; decay; two-way flow models;
Other versions of this item:
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2012. "On the interaction between heterogeneity and decay in two-way flow models," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 73(4), pages 525-538, October.
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2011. "On the Interaction between Heterogeneity and Decay in Two-way Flow Models," Working Papers 1109, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-19 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Galeotti & Sanjeev Goyal & Jurjen Kamphorst, 2003.
"Network Formation with Heterogeneous Players,"
Economics Discussion Papers
562, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Hans Haller & Jurjen Kamphorst & Sudipta Sarangi, 2007.
"(Non-)existence and Scope of Nash Networks,"
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 597-604, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.