On the inclusion of the Chinese renminbi in the SDR basket
AbstractWe study the impact of a broadening of the SDR basket to the Chinese currency on the composition and volatility of the basket. Although, in the past, RMB inclusion would have had negligible impact due to its limited weight, a much more significant impact can be expected in the next decades, and more so if the Chinese currency is pegged to the US dollar. If the objective is to reinforce the attractiveness of the SDR as a unit of account and a store of value through more stability, then a broadening of the SDR to the RMB could be appropriate, provided some flexibility is introduced in the Chinese exchange-rate regime. This issue of flexibility is de facto more important than that of "free usability" to make the SDR more stable, at least in the short and medium run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00763966.
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00763966
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
SDR; renminbi; international monetary system; foreign exchange volatility;
Other versions of this item:
- Agnes Benassy-Quere & Damien Capelle, 2012. "On the Inclusion of the Chinese Renminbi in the SDR Basket," CESifo Working Paper Series 3989, CESifo Group Munich.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Damien Capelle, 2012. "On the inclusion of the Chinese renminbi in the SDR basket," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12079, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Damien Capelle, 2011. "On the Inclusion of the Chinese Renminbi in the SDR Basket," Working Papers 2011-19, CEPII research center.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Sophie Béreau & Valérie Mignon, 2010. "On the Complementarity of Equilibrium Exchange-Rate Approaches," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 618-632, 09.
- Ignazio Angeloni & AgnÃ¨s BÃ©nassy-QuÃ©rÃ© & Benjamin Carton & Christophe Destais & Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Shahin VallÃ©e, . "Global currencies for tomorrow: a European perspective," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 592, 02.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- J. J. Polak & Peter B. Clark, 2002. "International Liquidity and the Role of the SDR in the International Monetary System," IMF Working Papers 02/217, International Monetary Fund.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2011. "The Long March Towards a Multipolar Monetary Regime," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 308.
- Mussa, Michael, 2000. "The Relationship Between the Euro and the Dollar," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 369-377, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.