Welfare Improvement Properties of an Allowance Market in a Production Economy
AbstractThis paper studies the welfare improvement properties of a market of allowances in an economy with a single type of externality. We show that thanks to the opening of such a market the Pareto optima can be decentralized as marginal pricing equilibria. However, the set of equilibria is much larger than this of Pareto optima. In order to discriminate the efficient equilibria we introduce a demand revealing mechanism tailored for this framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number hal-00633358.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Annals of Economics and Statistics, 2009, 93/94, 67-77
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00633358
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Other versions of this item:
- Antoine Mandel, 2007. "Welfare improvement properties of an allowance market in a production economy," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00155803, HAL.
- Antoine Mandel, 2007. "Welfare improvement properties of an allowance market in a production economy," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b07029, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marc BONNISSEAU, 1994. "Caractérisation des optima de pareto dans une économie avec effets externes," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 36, pages 97-112.
- Stefani C. Smith & Andrew J. Yates, 2003. "Should Consumers Be Priced Out of Pollution-Permit Markets?," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 181-189, January.
- Conley, John P. & Smith, Stefani C., 2005. "Coasian equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 687-704, September.
- Boyd, John III & Conley, John P., 1997. "Fundamental Nonconvexities in Arrovian Markets and a Coasian Solution to the Problem of Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 388-407, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.