Constrained Conjunctive -Use for Endogenously Separable Water Markets: Managing the Waihole- Waikane Aqueduct
AbstractAn internal solution to an optimal control problem involving conjunctive use of surface and groundwater may be inapplicable if water is not sufficiently fungible across space and time. We provide a more general solution and apply it to the problem of allocating a limited amount of water from the Koolau mountains to two Oahu water districts separated by those mountains. The solution involves initially allocating all the mountain water to the district supplied by groundwater but eventually allocating all of the water to the district supplied by the surface water. The conditions for an internal solution hold only in the intervening years when some mountain water is allocated to each district.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200006.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Smith, Rodney B. W. & Roumasset, James, 2000. "Constrained conjunctive-use for endogenously separable water markets: managing the Waihole-Waikane aqueduct," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 61-71, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darrell Krulce & James A. Roumasset & Tom Wilson, 1997. "Optimal Management of a Renewable and Replaceable Resource: The Case of Coastal Groundwater," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1218-1228.
- Tsur, Yacov & Graham-Tomasi, Theodore, 1991. "The buffer value of groundwater with stochastic surface water supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 201-224, November.
- James Moncur & James Roumasset & Rodney Smith, 1997. "Optimal Allocation of Ground and Surface Water in O'ahu: Water Wars in Paradise," Working Papers 199707, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Chakravorty Ujjayant & Hochman Eithan & Zilberman David, 1995. "A Spatial Model of Optimal Water Conveyance," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-41, July.
- James E. T. Moncur & Richard L. Pollock, 1988. "Scarcity Rents for Water: A Valuation and Pricing Model," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(1), pages 62-72.
- Roumasset, J. & Isaak, D. & Fesharaki, F., 1983. "Oil prices without OPEC : A walk on the supply-side," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 164-170, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web Technician).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.