AbstractWe introduce an ordinal model of efficiency measurement. Our primitive is a notion of efficiency that is comparative, but not cardinal or absolute. In this framework, we postulate axioms that we believe an ordinal efficiency measure should satisfy. Primary among these are choice consistency and planning consistency, which guide the measurement of efficiency in a firm with access to multiple technologies. Other axioms include symmetry, which states that the names of commodities do not matter, scale-invariance, which says that units of measurement of commodities does not matter, and strong monotonicity, which states that efficiency should decrease if the inputs and outputs remain static when the technology becomes unambiguously more efficient. These axioms characterize a unique ordinal efficiency measure which is represented by the coefficient of resource utilization. By replacing symmetry (the weakest of our axioms) with a very mild continuity condition, we obtain a family of path-based measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Haifa, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number WP2011/14.
Date of creation:
Date of revision: 30 Nov 2011
Efficiency Measurement; Coefficient of Resource Utilization; Ordinal; Choice Consistency; Planning Consistency; Path-based;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2011-12-13 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-UPT-2011-12-13 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinko Dimitrov & Thierry Marchant & Debasis Mishra, 2009.
"Separability and aggregation of equivalence relations,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
09-06, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Thierry Marchant & Debasis Mishra, 2012. "Separability and aggregation of equivalence relations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 191-212, September.
- Christopher Chambers & Alan Miller, 2011. "Rules for aggregating information," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 75-82, January.
- R. Russell & William Schworm, 2009.
"Axiomatic foundations of efficiency measurement on data-generated technologies,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 77-86, April.
- R. Robert Russell & William Schworm, 2007. "Axiomatic Foundations of Efficiency Measurement on Data-Generated Technologies," Discussion Papers 2007-35, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Bruno Leclerc & Bernard Monjardet, 2011. "Aggregation and residuation," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11085, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- R. Russell & William Schworm, 2011. "Properties of inefficiency indexes on 〈input, output〉 space," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 143-156, October.
- Miller, Alan D., 2008. "Group identification," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 188-202, May.
- Robert G. Chambers & Atakelty Hailu & John Quiggin, 2011.
"Event‐specific data envelopment models and efficiency analysis,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 55(1), pages 90-106, 01.
- Chambers, Robert G & Hailu, Atakelty, 2005. "Event-specific Data Envelopment Models and Efficiency Analysis," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151185, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Robert G. Chambers & Atakelty Hailu & John Quiggin, 2007. "Event-specific Data Envelopment Models and Efficiency Analysis," Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers WPR07_8, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- David Adamson & Thilak Mallawaarachchi & John Quiggin, 2006.
"Water use and salinity in the MurrayÐDarling Basin: a state-contingent model,"
Murray-Darling Program Working Papers
WP5M06, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Adamson, David & Mallawaarachchi, Thilak & Quiggin, John C., 2002. "Water use and salinity in the Murray–Darling Basin: A state-contingent model," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(3), September.
- Adamson, David & Mallawaarachchi, Thilak & Quiggin, John, 2006. "Water use and salinity in the Murray-Darling Basin: a state contingent model," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 149861, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Hughes, Neal & Lawson, Kenton & Davidson, Alistair & Jackson, Tom & Sheng, Yu, 2011. "Productivity pathways: climate-adjusted production frontiers for the Australian broadacre cropping industry," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 100563, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Huettel, Silke & Narayana, Rashmi & Odening, Martin, 2011. "Measuring dynamic efficiency under uncertainty," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 129062, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Salim, Ruhul A. & Islam, Nazrul, 2010. "Exploring the impact of R&D and climate change on agricultural productivity growth: the case of Western Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- Blundell,Richard & Newey,Whitney K. & Persson,Torsten (ed.), 2006. "Advances in Economics and Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521692083, April.
- Robert Chambers & John Quiggin, 2007. "Information value and efficiency measurement for risk-averse firms," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 197-208, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Rubinchik).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.