Remittances and Inequality
AbstractThe impact of remittances on inequality is uncertain a priori. However, at the margin, remittances are likely to be more inequality increasing (or less inequality decreasing) in poorer as opposed to richer areas. This is suggested with a simple theoretical model, and tested empirically using survey-based estimates of the Gini income elasticity of remittances in Honduras. The results are robust to alternative distribution weights used for measuring inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de Guanajuato, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Department of Economics and Finance Working Papers with number EC200506.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UCEA-Campus Marfil, Fracc. I, El Establo, Guanajuato GTO 36250
Phone: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Fax: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Web page: http://economia.ugto.org/
More information through EDIRC
Migration; Remittances; Income Distribution.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2005-10-29 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2005-10-29 (Development)
- NEP-LAM-2005-10-29 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stark, Oded & Taylor, J. Edward & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1988. "Migration, remittances and inequality : A sensitivity analysis using the extended Gini index," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 309-322, May.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1983. "On an Extension of the Gini Inequality Index," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(3), pages 617-28, October.
- Stark, Oded & Taylor, J Edward & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1986. "Remittances and Inequality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 722-40, September.
- Leones, J P & Feldman, S, 1998. "Nonfarm Activity and Rural Household Income: Evidence from Philippine Microdata," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(4), pages 789-806, July.
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
- Rodriguez, Edgard R, 1998. "International Migration and Income Distribution in the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 329-50, January.
- Valerie Koechlin & Gianmarco Leon, 2007.
"International Remittances and Income Inequality: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 123-141.
- Valerie Koechlin & Gianmarco Leon, 2007. "International Remittances and Income Inequality: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 123-141.
- Gianmarco León & Valerie Koechlin, 2006. "International Remittances and Income Inequality: An Empirical Investigation," Research Department Publications 4475, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Garcia, Pablo M & Rodriguez-Montemayor, Eduardo, 2010. "A primer of international migration: The Latin American experience and a proposal for a research agenda," MPRA Paper 24147, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Ebeke & Maëlan Le Goff, 2011.
"Why Migrants' Remittances Reduce Income Inequality in some Countries and not in Others?,"
- Maëlan LE GOFF & Christian EBEKE, 2009. "Why Migrants' Remittances Reduce Income Inequality in some Countries and not in Others?," Working Papers 200919, CERDI.
- Wodon, Quentin & Angel-Urdinola, Diego & Gonzalez-Konig, Gabriel & Ojeda Revah, Diana & Siaens, Corinne, 2003. "Migration and Poverty in Mexico’s Southern States," MPRA Paper 10574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eduardo Rodríguez-Montemayor & Pablo M. García, 2009. "A Primer of International Migration: The Latin American Experience," IDB Publications 9327, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Sanchez Mier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.