Intertemporal Price Discovery By Market Makers: Active Versus Passive Learning
AbstractThis paper examines the role of the market maker in intertemporal price formation in securities market. We argue that the market maker, in performing the critical function of price discovery, may set prices in a dynamic context that would be suboptimal in a single period context in order to learn more from the resulting order flow. Such actions constitute an investment in the production of information. Necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence of such price strategies are developed and several examples are presented.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research in its series Weiss Center Working Papers with number 15-90.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3404 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6367
Web page: http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/weiss/
More information through EDIRC
securities ; financial market ; prices ; economic models;
Other versions of this item:
- Chris Leach, J. & Madhavan, Ananth N., 1992. "Intertemporal price discovery by market makers: Active versus passive learning," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 207-235, June.
- Chris J. Leach & Ananth N. Madhavan, . "Intertemporal Price Discovery by Market Makers: Active versus Passive Learning," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Osler, Carol & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006.
"Price Discovery in Currency Markets,"
Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃÂ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃÂ¤t Hannover
dp-351, Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche FakultÃ¤t.
- Vitale, Paolo, 1998. "Two months in the life of several gilt-edged market makers on the London Stock Exchange," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 299-324, December.
- Victoria Saporta & Giorgio Trebeschi & Anne Vila, 1999. "Price formation and transparency on the London Stock Exchange," Bank of England working papers 95, Bank of England.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Schmidt, Markus & Reitz, Stefan, 2007. "End-user order flow and exchange rate dynamics," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Scalia, Antonio, 1998. "Information transmission and causality in the Italian Treasury bond market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 361-384, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.