Do Low-Price Guarantees Facilitate Collusion?
AbstractWe examine the role low-price guarantees allegedly play in supporting supracompetitive prices. We find that when firms can commit to matching or beating any lower price announced by a competitor, all Nash equilibria yield Bertrand selling prices. This result casts doubt on the robustness of the conclusions of models which restrict attention to meet-the-competition clauses only.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory in its series Papers with number 94-01.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS CENTER FOR RESEARCH ON ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL THEORY, ANN ARBOR MICHIGAN U.S.A.
pricing ; competition;
Other versions of this item:
- Hviid, Morton & Shaffer, Greg, 1994. "Do low-price Guarantees facilitate Collusion?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 422, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Morten Hviid & Greg Shaffer, 2012. "Optimal low-price guarantees with anchoring," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 393-417, December.
- Enrique Fatas & Juan Mañez, 2007. "Are low-price promises collusion guarantees? An experimental test of price matching policies," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 59-77, March.
- Corts, Kenneth S., 1997. "On the competitive effects of price-matching policies," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 283-299, May.
- Arbatskaya, Maria & Hviid, Morten & Shaffer, Greg, 2006. "On the use of low-price guarantees to discourage price cutting," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1139-1156, November.
- Enrique Fatás & Juan A. Mañez, 2004. "Are Low-Price Compromises Collusion Guarantees? An Experimental Test of Price Matching Policies," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/33, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.