Stuck in the Tunnel: Is Globalization Muddling the Middle Class?
AbstractOur objective in this paper is to assess how middle-income groups are faring with the global turn to the market. We suggest some simple measures of the middle-the size and income shares of households around the median (75/125%)-and their income status relative to wealthier counterparts. Our results point to genuine distributional stress for middle-income households, as well as public perceptions of such stress.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Brookings Institution - Working Papers in its series Papers with number 14.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
INCOME ; MIDDLE CLASS ; GLOBALIZATION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- H80 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2010.
"The Developing World's Bulging (but Vulnerable) Middle Class,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 445-454, April.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2009. "The Developing World's Bulging (but Vulnerable) "Middle Class"," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4816, The World Bank.
- Martin Ravallion, 2012.
"Why Don't We See Poverty Convergence?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(1), pages 504-23, February.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2008.
"What Is Middle Class about the Middle Classes around the World?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 3-28, Spring.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther, 2007. "What is Middle Class about the Middle Classes Around the World?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Esther Duflo & Abhijit Banerjee, 2008. "What is Middle Class About the Middle Classes Around the World?," Working Papers id:1363, eSocialSciences.
- Selezneva, Ekaterina, 2011.
"Surveying transitional experience and subjective well-being: Income, work, family,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 139-157, June.
- Ekaterina Selezneva, 2010. "Surveying transitional experience and subjective well-being : Income, work, family," Working Papers 279, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00775929 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jérôme Lefranc, 2012. "Polarisation et déclin de la classe moyenne : le cas de la Russie," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12054, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Matías Horenstein & Sergio Olivieri, 2006. "Economic Polarisation in Latin America and the Caribbean: What do Household Surveys Tell Us?," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0038, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Iva Tomic & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2010. "What Happened to the Middle Class in the New Market Economies? The Case of Croatia and Poland," Croatian Economic Survey, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb, vol. 12(1), pages 9-44, April.
- Eisenhauer, Joseph G., 2011. "The rich, the poor, and the middle class: Thresholds and intensity indices," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 294-304, December.
- Ali Abdel Gadir Ali, . "The Political Economy of Inequality in the Arab Region and Relevant Development Policies," API-Working Paper Series 0904, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Steffen Dyck & Syetarn Hansakul & Rachna Saxena, 2009. "Emerging Asia's Middle Class-A Force to be Reckoned With," Working Papers id:2232, eSocialSciences.
- Zhang Yuan & Guanghua Wan & Niny Khor, 2012. "The rise of middle class in rural China," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 36-51, February.
- Jérôme Lefranc, 2012. "Polarisation et déclin de la classe moyenne : le cas de la Russie," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00775929, HAL.
- Guillermo Cruces & Luis Felipe López Calva & Diego Battistón, 2011. "Down and Out or Up and In? Polarization-Based Measures of the Middle Class for Latin America," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0113, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.