Agricultural wages and food prices in Egypt
AbstractThe trend in real agricultural wages in Egypt is described well by an inverted U-shaped curve with a peak around 1985. But the rise and fall of real wages masks a complex dynamic process by which nominal wages adjust in response to changes in food prices. We use governorate-level panel data for 1976–1993 to explore the nature of this adjustment process. Our results indicate that nominal wages adjust slowly. There is a significant negative initial impact of rising food prices on real wages, though wages do catch up in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series FCND discussion papers with number 53.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Income Egypt ; agricultural economics ;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richards, Alan, 1994. "The Egyptian farm labor market revisited," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 239-261, April.
- Grabowski, Richard & Sivan, David, 1986. "The supply of labor in agriculture and food prices: The cases of Japan and Egypt," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 441-447, March.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Boyce, James K & Ravallion, Martin, 1991. "A Dynamic Econometric Model of Agricultural Wage Determination in Bangladesh," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(4), pages 361-76, November.
- Sah, Raaj Kumar & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "Price Scissors and the Structure of the Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(1), pages 109-34, February.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1998.
"Farm productivity and rural poverty in India,"
FCND discussion papers
42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Adams, Richard H., Jr., 1991. "The effects of international remittances on poverty, inequality, and development in rural Egypt:," Research reports 86, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hansen, Bent, 1969. "Employment and Wages in Rural Egypt," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 298-313, June.
- James Cassing, 2007.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Egypt,"
313, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Gutner, Tammi, 1999. "The political economy of Food subsidy reform in Egypt," FCND briefs 1, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.