Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve
AbstractWe show, in an exchange economy with default, liquidity constraints and no aggregate uncertainty, that state prices in a complete markets general equilibrium are a function of the supply of liquidity by the Central Bank. Our model is derived along the lines of Dubey and Geanakoplos (1992). Twoagents trade goods and nominal assets (Arrow-Debreu (AD) securities) to smooth consumption across periods and future states, in the presence of cash-in-advance financing costs. We show that, with Von Neumann-Morgenstern logarithmic utility functions, the price of AD securities, are inversely related to liquidity. The upshot of our argument is that agents’ expectations computedusing risk-neutral probabilities give more weight in the states with higher interest rates. This result cannot be found in a Lucas-type representative agent general equilibrium model where there is neither trade or money nor default. Hence, an upward yield curve can be supported in equilibrium, even though short-term interest rates are fairly stable. The risk-premium in the term structure is therefore a pure default risk premium.Keywords: cash-in-advance constraints; risk-neutral probabilities; state prices; term structure of interest ratesJEL Classification: E43; G12
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp583.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Raphael A. Espinoza & Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2007. "Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve," Economics Series Working Papers 2007-FE-01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Raphael A. Espinoza & Charles A. E. Goodhart & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe15, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Raphael A. Espinoza & Charles A. E. Goodhart & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2007. "Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve," OFRC Working Papers Series 2007fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.