Exchange rates, non-traded goods and the terms-of-trade: an empirical application for New Zealand
AbstractThis article formulates and tests for New Zealand a model of exchange rate determination focusing on non-tradeable goods and terms-of-trade shifts. We emphasize the equilibrium properties of this framework and, in this context, estimate an error correction model where adjustment in response to deviation from equilibrium are an important determinant of short-run exchange rate movements. ; We estimate the model using a new data series on the supply of non-tradeable goods. The model has desirable empirical characteristics, including a plausible error correction equation, strong support for cointegration and rapid convergence to the long-run equilibrium. Moreover, a variety of diagnostic statistics, including parameter stability tests and out-of-sample forecasting performance, indicate the equation is a parsimonious representation of the data. These results provide considerable support for the emphasis on "real" determinants of nominal exchange rates, in this case fluctuations in non-traded goods supply and terms-of-trade.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its series Pacific Basin Working Paper Series with number 95-01.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, February 1997, v. 59, iss. 1, pp. 43-67
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 101 Market Street, MS 1130, San Francisco, CA 94105-1579
Phone: (415) 974-3184
Fax: (415) 974-2168
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/economics/pbc/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Hansen, Eric & Hutchison, Michael M, 1997. "Exchange Rates, Non-traded Goods and the Terms of Trade: An Empirical Application for New Zealand," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(1), pages 43-67, February.
- Eric Hansen & Michael M. Hutchison, . "Exchange Rates, Non-Traded Goods and the Terms-of-Trade: An Empirical Application for New Zealand," EPRU Working Paper Series, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics 96-11, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert A Buckle & Kunhong Kim & Heather Kirkham & Nathan McLellan & Jared Sharma, 2002. "A structural VAR model of the New Zealand business cycle," Treasury Working Paper Series 02/26, New Zealand Treasury.
- Economics Department, 1995. "Recent Reserve Bank research," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 58, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.