A redux of the workhorse NOEM model with capital accumulation and incomplete asset markets
AbstractI build a symmetric two-country model that incorporates nominal rigidities, local-currency pricing and monopolistic competition distorting the goods markets. The model is similar to the framework developed in Martínez-García and Søndergaard (2008a, 2008b), but it also introduces frictions in the assets markets by restricting the financial assets available to two uncontingent nominal bonds in zero-net supply and by adding quadratic costs on international borrowing (see, e.g., Benigno and Thoenissen (2008) and Benigno (2009). The technical part of the paper contains three basic calculations. First, I derive the equilibrium conditions of the open economy model under local-currency pricing and incomplete asset markets. Second, I compute the zero-inflation (deterministic) steady state and discuss what happens with a non-zero net foreign asset position. Third, I derive the log-linearization of the equilibrium conditions around the deterministic steady state. The quantitative part of the paper aims to give a broad overview of the role that incomplete international asset markets can play in accounting for the persistence and volatility of the real exchange rate. I find that the simulation of the incomplete and complete asset markets models is almost indistinguishable whenever the business cycle is driven primarily by either nonpersistent monetary or persistent productivity (but not permanent) shocks. In turn, asset market incompleteness has more sizeable wealth effects whenever the cycle is driven by persistent (but not permanent) investment-specific technology shocks, resulting in significantly lower real exchange rate volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in its series Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper with number 74.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-03-26 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CMP-2011-03-26 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2011-03-26 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gianluca Benigno & Christoph Theonissen, 2006.
"Consumption and real exchange rates with incomplete markets and non-traded goods,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3758, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Thoenissen, Christoph, 2008. "Consumption and real exchange rates with incomplete markets and non-traded goods," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 926-948, October.
- Gianluca Benigno & Christoph Thoenissen, 2004. " Consumption and Real Exchange Rates with Incomplete Markets and Non-traded Goods," CDMA Conference Paper Series 0405, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis, revised Dec 2006.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Thoenissen, Christoph, 2006. "Consumption and Real Exchange Rates with Incomplete Markets and Non-Traded Goods," CEPR Discussion Papers 5580, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianluca Benigno & Christoph Theonissen, 2006. "Consumption and Real Exchange Rates with Incomplete Markets and Non-Traded Goods," CEP Discussion Papers dp0771, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fabio Ghironi & Jaewoo Lee & Alessandro Rebucci, 2007.
"The Valuation Channel of External Adjustment,"
NBER Working Papers
12937, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaewoo Lee & Fabio Ghironi & Alessandro Rebucci, 2009. "The Valuation Channel of External Adjustment," IMF Working Papers 09/275, International Monetary Fund.
- Fabio Ghironi & Jaewoo Lee & Alessandro Rebucci, 2009. "The Valuation Channel of External Adjustment," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 722, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fabio Ghironi & Jaewoo Lee & Alessandro Rebucci, 2009. "The valuation channel of external adjustment," Working Papers 09-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Fabio Ghironi & Jaewoo Lee & Alessandro Rebucci, 2006. "The Valuation Channel of External Adjustment," 2006 Meeting Papers 195, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001.
"Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2009. "Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 121-149, 02.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2008. "Price stability with imperfect financial integration," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Heathcote, Jonathan & Perri, Fabrizio, 2002.
"Financial autarky and international business cycles,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 601-627, April.
- Heathcote, Jonathan & Perri, Fabrizio, 1999. "Financial Autarky and International Business Cycles," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 320, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 30 Apr 2000.
- Richard Blundell & Thomas MaCurdy, 1998.
"Labour supply: a review of alternative approaches,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Kollmann, Robert, 2003. "Monetary Policy Rules in an Interdependent World," CEPR Discussion Papers 4012, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Delia Rodriguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.