Productivity Changes in Finnish Health Centres: A Malmquist Index Approach
AbstractThis paper studies productivity development of Finnish health centres in 1988-95 by applying different specifications of Malmquist index. As input variables we use operating costs or the number of personnel by employee category, and as output variables different kinds of visits, bed days and discharges. Measuring input use by operating costs gives more positive estimates of productivity change than those obtained by measuring inputs by the number of personnel. This suggests that productivity growth can partly be explained by changes towards a more efficient input mix in health centres. The choice of the base year had only a small effect on productivity change estimates. The results show that the productivity decline of health centres which was quite substantial all through the 1970s and 1980s reversed to a rise from 1990 onwards. The turn in productivity development occurred at the same time as the state and municipalities experienced severe financial difficulties due to recession and falling tax revenues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Discussion Papers with number 218.
Date of creation: 19 Apr 2000
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bjurek, Hans & Kjulin, Urban & Gustafsson, Bjorn, 1992. " Efficiency, Productivity and Determinants of Inefficiency at Public Day Care Centers in Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S173-87, Supplemen.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S211-28, Supplemen.
- Miika Linna, 1998. "Measuring hospital cost efficiency with panel data models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 415-427.
- Heikki A. Loikkanen & Ilkka Susiluoto, 2005. "Cost Efficiency of Finnish Municipalities in Basic Service Provision 1994-2002," ERSA conference papers ersa05p37, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.