Efficiency, Productivity and Determinants of Inefficiency at Public Day Care Centers in Sweden
AbstractEfficiency differences among day care centers and productivity change over time are examined on the basis of nonparametric frontiers calculated using the data envelopment analysis methodology. The data consist of approximately 200 public day care centers in Gothenburg, Sweden, for the years 1988 and 1989. The findings indicate a potential output increase of about 10 to 15 percent each year and a productivity decrease of 3 percent between the years. An attempt is also made to explain the differences in inefficiency by applying a Tobit model. Copyright 1992 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 94 (1992)
Issue (Month): 0 (Supplement)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrew Worthington & Brian Dollery, 2000. "Efficiency Measurement in the Local Public Sector: Econometric and Mathematical Programming Frontier Techniques," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 078, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Kjulin, Urban & Schwarz, Brita, 2002. " Central-Local Government Relations in Transition: The Case of Swedish Child Care," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 110(3-4), pages 305-25, March.
- Francesco Porcelli, 2009. "Effects of fiscal decentralisation and electoral accountability efficiency evidence from the Italian health care sector," Working Papers 2009/29, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Maija-Liisa Järviö & Kalevi Luoma, 2000. "Productivity Changes in Finnish Health Centres: A Malmquist Index Approach," Discussion Papers 218, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.