Finnish Experiences in Measuring and Promoting Productivity in the Public Sector
AbstractThis paper presents a survey of the studies that have investigated productivity and efficiency in the Finnish public sector. The paper outlines methods that have been used in these studies and presents summaries of main finding. In addition suggestions and reflections on how to take quality into account in productivity studies are offered. The implications of recent public management reforms in Finland for productivity are also discussed. The paper offers tentative evidence that these reforms may have significant positive effects on public sector productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Discussion Papers with number 150.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1997
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H10 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - General
- F00 - International Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanent, Heikki A., 1998.
"Efficiency differences of finnish senior secondary schools: An application of DEA and Tobit analysis,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 377-394, October.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanen, Heikki, 1996. "Efficiency Differences of Finnish Senior Secondary Schools: An Application of DEA and Tobit-Analysis," Discussion Papers 570, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Hjerppe, Reino T, 1980. "The Measurement of Real Output of Public Sector Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 26(2), pages 237-50, June.
- Maija-Liisa Järviö & Kalevi Luoma, 1992. "Health Centre Productivity in Finland: Productivity change from 1980 to 1990 and productivity differences in 1990," Discussion Papers 42, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- Olesen, O. B. & Petersen, N. C., 1995. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis: a stochastic dominance approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 117-135, April.
- Talvitie, A. P. & Sikow, Catharina, 1992. "Analysis of productivity in highway construction using alternative average cost definitions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 461-478, December.
- Johan Willner, 2003. "Privatisation and Public Ownership in Finland," CESifo Working Paper Series 1012, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.