Efficiency Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in the EU Periphery: A comparative study of Greece, Ireland and Spain
AbstractDespite a growing number of empirical studies on efficiency spillovers arising from the presence of multinational firms for a number of countries, general conclusions on this issue have been inhibited by differences in the data sets and estimation techniques used across studies. In this paper we conduct a comparative empirical study for Greece, Ireland and Spain by creating comparable data sets and estimating identical models. Our results show evidence of spillovers in Ireland and Spain only, although these positive spillovers seem to depend on whether firms have the absorptive capacity to capture technological spillovers and the criteria used to classify them as foreign affiliates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2002-02.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pack, Howard & Saggi, Kamal, 1997. "Inflows of Foreign Technology and Indigenous Technological Development," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 81-98, February.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & DEC, 1994. "Do domestic firms benefit from foreign direct investment? Evidence from panel data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1248, The World Bank.
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997.
""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience","
97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F723-39, November.
- Machin, S.J., 1988.
"The Productivity Effects Of Unionisation And Firm Size In British Engineering Firms,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
293, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Machin, Stephen J, 1991. "The Productivity Effects of Unionization and Firm Size in British Engineering Firms," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(232), pages 479-90, November.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2002. "Foreign ownership and production efficiency: a quantile regression analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 449-469, July.
- Barbosa, Natalia & Louri, Helen, 2002. "On the determinants of multinationals' ownership preferences: evidence from Greece and Portugal," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 493-515, April.
- Kokko, Ari & Tansini, Ruben & Zejan, Mario, 1994.
"Productivity Spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan Manufacturing Sector,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
2, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ari Kokko & Ruben Tansini & Mario Zejan, 1994. "Productivity spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan manufacturing sector," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0194, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Blomstrom, Magnus, 1986. "Foreign Investment and Productive Efficiency: The Case of Mexico," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 97-110, September.
- Salvador Barrios, . "Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity Spillovers," Working Papers 2000-19, FEDEA.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers: Evidence from the Spanish experience," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 459-481, September.
- Peter Rowland, 2006. "Foreign and Domestic Firms in Colombia:," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002740, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Lutz, Stefan H. & Talavera, Oleksandr, 2003.
"Do Ukrainian firms benefit from FDI,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 04-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Tomáš Havránek & Zuzana Iršová, 2010. "Meta-Analysis of Intra-Industry FDI Spillovers: Updated Evidence," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(2), pages 151-174, May.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers: Which firms really benefit?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 140(2), pages 230-253, June.
- Samuel Bentolila & Juan F. Jimeno, . "La reforma de la negociación colectiva en España," Working Papers 2002-03, FEDEA.
- Peter Rowland, . "Foreign and Domestic Firms in Colombia: How Do They Differ?," Borradores de Economia 375, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2005.
"Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers – What Do We Really Know?,"
2005/06, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Crespo, Nuno & Fontoura, Maria Paula, 2007. "Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers - What Do We Really Know?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 410-425, March.
- Simona Rasciute & Eric J. Pentecost & Helena I. Marques, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of the Determinants of the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the Central and Eastern European Countries Using Multilevel Data," Discussion Paper Series 2007_22, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2007.
- Daniel Chudnovsky & Andres Lopez & Gaston Rossi, 2004.
"Foreign Direct Investment Spillovers and the Absorption Capabilities of Domestic Firms in the Argentine Manufacturing Sector (1992-2001),"
74, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Jul 2004.
- Daniel Chudnovsky & Andres Lopez & Gaston Rossi, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment Spillovers and the Absorptive Capabilities of Domestic Firms in the Argentine Manufacturing Sector (1992-2001)," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 645-677.
- Vassilis MONASTIRIOTIS & Jacob A. JORDAAN, 2010. "Does FDI promote regional development? Evidence from local and regional productivity spillovers in Greece," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 1, pages 139-164, December.
- Alain Nurbel & Ibrahim Ahamada, 2008. "Investissements directs étrangers entrants et développement : l'enjeu de la capacité d'absorption," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(3), pages 79-96.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.