Cash in advance constraint on RD in a Schimpeterian growth model with an endogenous market structure
AbstractIn this paper we explore the effects of monetary policy on the number of firms, firm market size, inflation and growth in a Schumpeterian growth model with endogenous market structure and cash-in-advance CIA constraints on two distinct types of RD investment in-house RD and entry investment. This allows us to match the empirical evidence and provides novel implications to the literature. We show that if in-house RD (quality improvement-type R&D) is subject to the CIA constraint, raising the nominal interest rate increases the number of firms and inflation, but decreases the firm size and economic growth. By contrast, if entry investment variety expansion-type RD is subject to the CIA constraint, these variables adversely respond to such a monetary policy. Besides, our model generates rich transitional dynamics in response to a change in monetary policy, when RD entry is restricted by a cash constraint.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2013-16.
Date of creation: Sep 2013
Date of revision:
CIA constraints on RD; endogenous market structure; monetary policy; economic growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Chien-Yu Huang & Juin-Jen Chang & Lei Ji, 2013. "Cash-In-Advance Constraint on R&D in a Schumpeterian Growth Model with an Endogenous Market Structure," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 13-A009, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2013-10-11 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-FDG-2013-10-11 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-INO-2013-10-11 (Innovation)
- NEP-MAC-2013-10-11 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-10-11 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TID-2013-10-11 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yip, C.K. & Wang, P., 1989.
"Alternative Approaches To Money And Growth,"
8-89-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Chu, Angus C. & Ji, Lei, 2012.
"Monetary policy and endogenous market structure in a Schumpeterian economy,"
40467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angus C., Chu & Lei, Ji, 2012. "Monetary policy and endogenous market structure in a schumpeterian economy," MPRA Paper 41027, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bronwyn H. Hall., 1992.
"Investment and Research and Development at the Firm Level: Does the Source of Financing Matter?,"
Economics Working Papers
92-194, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 1992. "Investment and Research and Development at the Firm Level: Does the Source of Financing Matter?," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5j59j6x3, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1992. "Investment and Research and Development at the Firm Level: Does the Source of Financing Matter?," NBER Working Papers 4096, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chu, Angus C. & Cozzi, Guido, 2013.
"R&D and Economic Growth in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
Economics Working Paper Series
1308, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Angus C. Chu & Guido Cozzi, 2014. "R&D And Economic Growth In A Cash‐In‐Advance Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 507-524, 05.
- Chu, Angus C. & Cozzi, Guido, 2012. "R&D and economic growth in a cash-in-advance economy," MPRA Paper 39778, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stanley Fischer, 1983. "Inflation and Growth," NBER Working Papers 1235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrea Vaona, 2010.
"Inflation and Growth in the Long Run: A New Keynesian Theory and Further Semiparametric Evidence,"
09/2010, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Vaona, Andrea, 2012. "Inflation And Growth In The Long Run: A New Keynesian Theory And Further Semiparametric Evidence," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 94-132, February.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1996.
"The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Simon G. Gilchrist & Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1994. "The financial accelerator and the flight to quality," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1994. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," NBER Working Papers 4789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Funk Peter & Kromen Bettina, 2010.
"Inflation and Innovation-Driven Growth,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-52, August.
- Malerba, Franco, 1992. "Learning by Firms and Incremental Technical Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 845-59, July.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Chu, Angus C. & Cozzi, Guido & Furukawa, Yuichi, 2013.
"A Schumpeterian Analysis of Monetary Policy, Innovation and North-South Technology Transfer,"
Economics Working Paper Series
1319, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Chu, Angus C. & Cozzi, Guido & Furukawa, Yuichi, 2013. "A Schumpeterian Analysis of Monetary Policy, Innovation and North-South Technology Transfer," MPRA Paper 49533, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.