Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia: The Relevance of European Experience
AbstractThis report examines the process of economic and financial integration in East Asia in the light of Europe's experience.Â The report provides a comprehensive analysis of East Asian monetary and financial integration process (including a deep analysis of East Asia's response to the 1997-98 financial crisis), a comprehensive critical survey of the literature on monetary and financial integration in East Asia, and an assessment of the various initiatives undertaken in the region for financial cooperation and macroeconomic surveillance.Â Its aim is to evaluate the evolution of the last decade and to offer policy suggestions.Â The main policy recommendations concern essentially two areas: (i) how to promote the creation of a regional financial market in Asia and (ii) how to encourage cooperation and macroeconomic surveillance in the region. (Provisional version. The printed publication will be delayed until the final text is available).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 329.
Length: 149 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Regional Integration; Financial integration; Monetary cooperation; mutual surveillance; East Asia; European Monetary Union; Park; Wyplosz;
Other versions of this item:
- Park, Yung Chul & Wyplosz, Charles, 2010. "Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia: The Relevance of European Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199587124, October.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F55 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - International Institutional Arrangements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2001.
"A Corporate Balance-Sheet Approach to Currency Crises,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
01.14, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2004. "A corporate balance-sheet approach to currency crises," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 6-30, November.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2001. "A corporate Balance-Sheet Approach to Currency Crises," Working Papers 01.05, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2001. "A Corporate Balance Sheet Approach to Currency Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 3092, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Lee, Jaewoo, 2007.
"Financial versus Monetary Mercantilism-Long-run View of Large International Reserves Hoarding,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt5r95t1xf, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jaewoo Lee, 2008. "Financial versus Monetary Mercantilism: Long-run View of Large International Reserves Hoarding," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5), pages 593-611, 05.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jaewoo Lee, 2006. "Financial Versus Monetary Mercantilism-Long-run View of Large International Reserves Hoarding," NBER Working Papers 12718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaewoo Lee & Joshua Aizenman, 2006. "Financial Versus Monetary Mercantilism," IMF Working Papers 06/280, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & J�r�mie Cohen-Setton, 2008.
"Asia-Europe: the third link,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
352, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Hamilton-Hart, Natasha, 2011. "Distribution, Domestic Politics and Monetary Cooperation in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 332, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ma, Guonan & McCauley, Robert N., 2011.
"The evolving renminbi regime and implications for Asian currency stability,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 23-38, March.
- Guonan Ma & Robert McCauley, 2010. "The evolving renminbi regime and implications for Asian currency stability," BIS Working Papers 321, Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.