Robust Monetary Policy with the Cost Channel
AbstractRecent research argues that model uncertainty leads the central bank to adjust interest rates stronger to exogenous disturbances than under certainty. This paper investigates whether the introduction of a cost channel of monetary transmission, whose presence is empirically supported, changes the impact of model uncertainty on interest rate setting. The basic model is simple enough to facilitate an analytical closed form solution. We find that the presence of the cost channel dampens the effect of model uncertainty on interest rate setting and can even offset the activist policy stance. In this case, the conventional result is reversed and uncertainty induces an attenuated interest rate policy. A richer dynamic model corroborates these findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 278.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
model uncertainty; robust control; cost channel; optimal monetary policy; Brainard conservatism; Tillmann;
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gerke, Rafael & Hammermann, Felix & Lewis, Vivien, 2012. "Robust monetary policy in a model with financial distress," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 318-325.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y::i:164:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Araújo, Eurilton, 2013.
"Robust monetary policy with the consumption-wealth channel,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 296-311.
- Araújo, Eurilton, 2008. "Robust Monetary Policy with the Consumption-Wealth Channel," Insper Working Papers wpe_110, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2009.
"Bank-Lending Standards, the Cost Channel and Inflation Dynamics,"
Economics working papers
2009-16, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2010. "Bank-Lending Standards, the Cost Channel and Inflation Dynamics," Working Papers 164, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Malikane, Christopher, 2012. "Inflation dynamics and the cost channel in emerging markets," MPRA Paper 42688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.