Changes in Japan's Labor Market Flows due to the Lost Decade
AbstractWe construct worker flows for the Japanese labor market in an internationally comparable manner, and study the consequences of the deep and lasting recession of the 1990s in the Japanese labor market. We analyze the changes in employment, unemployment and inactivity, as well as the worker flows between this states by using detailed Labor Force Survey micro-data from 1983 to 2008. In order to understand what type of worker was most affected by the long recession, we disaggregate the data according to several worker and employer's characteristics. We find that the so-called Lost Decade of the 1990s changed the state of the labor market from all the previous points of view, although some types of workers were more affected than others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 11039.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Esteban-Pretel, Julen & Nakajima, Ryo & Tanaka, Ryuichi, 2010.
"TFP growth slowdown and the Japanese labor market in the 1990s,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 50-68, March.
- Julen ESTEBAN-PRETEL & NAKAJIMA Ryo & TANAKA Ryuichi, 2009. "TFP Growth Slowdown and the Japanese Labor Market in the 1990s," Discussion papers 09003, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Esteban-Pretel, Julen & Nakajima, Ryo & Tanaka, Ryuichi, 2011.
"Are contingent jobs dead ends or stepping stones to regular jobs? Evidence from a structural estimation,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 513-526, August.
- Julen ESTEBAN-PRETEL & NAKAJIMA Ryo & TANAKA Ryuichi, 2009. "Are Contingent Jobs Dead Ends or Stepping Stones to Regular Jobs? Evidence from a Structural Estimation," Discussion papers 09002, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Esteban-Pretel, Julen & Fujimoto, Junichi, 2012. "Life-cycle search, match quality and Japan’s labor market," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 326-350.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.