Estimation Procedures and TFP Analysis of the JIP Database 2006 Provisional Version
Abstract(Introduction) The purpose of this paper is to explain the preliminary version of the newly compiled Japan Industrial Productivity Database (JIP 2006) and report some results of our growth accounting analysis based on this database. The JIP 2006 contains information on 108 sectors from 1970 to 2002 that can be used for total factor productivity analyses. These sectors cover the whole Japanese economy. The JIP Database was compiled as part of the RIETI (Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry) research project "Study on Industry-Level and Firm-Level Productivity in Japan." The original version of the JIP Database (ESRI/Hi-Stat JIP Database 2003) was compiled in a collaboration between ESRI (Economic and Social Research Institute, Cabinet Office, Government of Japan) as part of its research project on "Japan's Potential Growth" and Hitotsubashi University as part of its Hi-Stat project (A 21st-Century COE Program, Research Unit for Statistical Analysis in the Social Sciences). The authors are grateful to ESRI and members of the Hi-Stat team for the support and cooperation provided for our present RIETI project. At this moment, the major data available are sectoral capital service input indices and labor service input indices, including information on real capital stocks and the nominal cost of capital by type of capital and by industry, the nominal and real values of sectoral gross output and intermediate input, as well as some supplementary tables, such as statistics on trade, inward and outward FDI, and Japan's industrial structure. All real values are based on 1995 prices. For growth accounting, nominal labor costs and nominal capital services for 108 industries are also estimated. The sum of these two values for each industry is not adjusted to be equal to the value added of that industry at factor cost base. The final version of the JIP 2006 is scheduled to be released by November, 2006. The final version will include nominal and real annual input-output tables, detailed information on ICT capital services and some additional statistics, such as R&D stocks and capacity utilization rates at the detailed sectoral level. For scholars familiar with the JIP 2003, we here briefly summarize the main differences between and the main similarities of the 2006 and 2003 versions of the JIP. 1. The JIP 2003 is based on the 1968 SNA, while the JIP 2006 is based on the 1993 SNA. The capital stock of the JIP 2006 includes order-made software, plant engineering, and assets accumulated by the search for minerals. The JIP 2003 uses SNA statistics as control totals. Following Japan's present SNA statistics, capital stock in the preliminary version of the JIP 2006 does not include prepackaged and in-house software. However, the final version of the JIP 2006 will include two sets of statistics, one in which capital stock does not include prepackaged and in-house software and one in which it does. 2. In the case of the JIP 2006, labor input data include detailed information on labor input cross-classified by categories of labor. The paper is organized as follows: In the next section, we report the estimation procedures of our annual input-output tables. In Sections 2 and 3, we explain the capital service input data and the labor input data of the JIP 2006, respectively. Finally, in Section 4, we analyze Japan's sectoral and macro TFP growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 07003.
Length: 60 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Yukako Murakami & Kyoji Fukao, 2006. "Inward Foreign Direct Investments and Productivity Growth in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-143, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Paprzycki,Ralph & Fukao,Kyoji, 2008.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Japan,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521873680, November.
- Kyoji Fukao & Hikari Ishido & Keiko Ito, 2003.
"Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia,"
03001, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003. "Vertical intra-industry trade and foreign direct investment in East Asia," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 468-506, December.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Discussion Paper Series a434, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg & Nicolas Peridy, 1997. "Trade Patterns Inside the Single Market," Working Papers 1997-07, CEPII research center.
- Jorgenson, D.W. & Timmer, Marcel, 2010.
"Structural Change in Advanced Nations: A New Set of Stylised Facts,"
GGDC Research Memorandum
GD-115, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Marcel P. Timmer, 2011. "Structural Change in Advanced Nations: A New Set of Stylised Facts," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(1), pages 1-29, 03.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Kozo Kiyota & Jacques Mairesse, 2013.
"Product and labor market imperfections and scale economies: Micro-evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands,"
NBER Working Papers
19059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Kozo Kiyota & Jacques Mairesse, 2013. "Product and Labor Market Imperfections and Scale Economies: Micro-Evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-037/VII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sabien DOBBELAERE & KIYOTA Kozo & Jacques MAIRESSE, 2012. "Product and Labor Market Imperfections and Scale Economies: Micro-evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands," Discussion papers 12020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Kiyota, Kozo & Mairesse, Jacques, 2013. "Product and Labor Market Imperfections and Scale Economies: Micro-Evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands," IZA Discussion Papers 7253, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- KIYOTA Kozo, 2010. "Productivity, Markup, Scale Economies, and the Business Cycle: Estimates from firm-level panel data in Japan," Discussion papers 10040, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Flora BELLONE & KIYOTA Kozo & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & Patrick MUSSO & Lionel NESTA, 2013.
"International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan,"
13011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Flora Bellone & Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta, 2012. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-07, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Jan 2014.
- Pablo, Agnese, 2009.
"Japan and her dealings with offshoring: An empirical analysis with aggregate data,"
16505, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agnese, Pablo, 2011. "Japan and Her Dealings with Offshoring: An Empirical Analysis with Aggregate Data," IZA Discussion Papers 5517, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Agnese, Pablo, 2009. "Japan and her dealings with offshoring: An empirical analysis with aggregate data," IESE Research Papers D/793, IESE Business School.
- MATSUURA Toshiyuki & MOTOHASHI Kazuyuki & HAYAKAWA Kazunobu, 2008. "How Does FDI in East Asia Affect Performance at Home?: Evidence from Electrical Machinery Manufacturing Firms," Discussion papers 08034, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- KWON Hyeog Ug & NARITA Futoshi & NARITA Machiko, 2009. "Resource Reallocation and Zombie Lending in Japan in the '90s," Discussion papers 09052, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Dekle, Robert & Fukao, Kyoji, 2009.
"The Japan-U.S. Exchange Rate, Productivity, and the Competitiveness of Japanese Industries,"
CEI Working Paper Series
2008-25, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Robert Dekle & Kyoji Fukao, 2009. "The Japan-U.S. Exchange Rate, Productivity, and the Competitiveness of Japanese Industries," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-047, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Codruța Dura & Oana Dobre-Baron, 2011. "Analysis of Foreign Direct Investments Engaged by Japanese Multinational Companies," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 11(2), pages 81-92.
- Kiyota, Kozo, 2012. "A many-cone world?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 345-354.
- MIYAGAWA Tsutomu & TAKIZAWA Miho & EDAMURA Kazuma, 2013. "Does the Stock Market Evaluate Intangible Assets? An empirical analysis using data of listed firms in Japan," Discussion papers 13052, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.