New aspects of intra-industry trade in EU countries
AbstractUsing the HS eight-digit product level trade data of EU countries for the period 1988 â€“ 2010, we analyse Intra-industry trade within EU countries as well as with Eastern European countries and with China. We find the Eastern European countriesâ€™ rise up the quality ladder, and by contrast the substantially lower prices of Chinaâ€™s exports to EU countries vis-Ã -vis Chinaâ€™s imports from them. The contrast between EU trade with the Eastern European countries and with China is present even in very recent years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) in its series IDE Discussion Papers with number 361.
Date of creation: Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 361. 2012.8
Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
Other versions of this item:
- Tadashi Ito & Toshihiro Okubo, 2012. "New Aspects of Intra-industry Trade in EU Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(9), pages 1126-1138, 09.
- Tadashi Ito & Toshihiro Okubo, 2012. "New Aspects of Intra-industry Trade in EU Countries," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2012-007, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2012-09-09 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-TRA-2012-09-09 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003.
"Vertical intra-industry trade and foreign direct investment in East Asia,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 468-506, December.
- Kyoji Fukao & Hikari Ishido & Keiko Ito, 2003. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Discussion papers 03001, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Discussion Paper Series a434, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg & Nicolas Peridy, 1997. "Trade Patterns Inside the Single Market," Working Papers 1997-07, CEPII research center.
- Toshihiro Okubo, 2007. "Intra-industry Trade, Reconsidered: The Role of Technology Transfer and Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(12), pages 1855-1876, December.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Juliette Milgram-Baleix & Ana I. Moro-Egido, 2010.
"The Asymmetric Effect of Endowments on Vertical Intra-industrial Trade,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5), pages 746-777, 05.
- Ana I. Moro & Juliette Milgram, 2008. "The Asymmetric Effect of Endowments on Vertical Intra-Industrial Trade," Working Papers. Serie EC 2008-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ando, Mitsuyo, 2006. "Fragmentation and vertical intra-industry trade in East Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-281, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.