Trade Liberalisation and Digital Divide: an Analysis of the Information Technology Agreement of WTO
AbstractThis article reflects on the effectiveness of trade liberalization, as envisaged in the Information Technology Agreement (ITA) of the WTO, for promoting ICT use and production in developing countries. It makes the case for an e-South Framework Agreement that facilitates the harnessing of southern capabilities through building new system of ICT innovation, as a complement to ongoing North-South initiatives, inter alia involving trade liberalization along with capacity building to promote ICT use and production in developing countries. [CDS Working Paper 381, July 2006]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:583.
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
trade liberalisation; digital divide; Information Technology Agreement; WTO;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dibyendu S. Maiti, 2005.
"Organisational morphology of rural industries in liberalised India: A study of West Bengal,"
Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers
371, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Dibyendu S. Maiti, 2006. "Organisational Morphology of Rural Industries in Liberalised India: A Study of West Bengal," Working Papers id:746, eSocialSciences.
- Sunil Mani, 2006.
"Keeping Pace with Globalisation Innovation Capability in Korea's Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
- Sunil Mani, 2005. "Keeping pace with globalisation innovation capability in Korea's telecommunications equipment industry," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 370, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Ake Lundvall & Bengt, 2003.
"Why the new economy is a learning economy,"
ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE,
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2003(117).
- Ernst, Dieter & Kim, Linsu, 2002. "Global production networks, knowledge diffusion, and local capability formation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1417-1429, December.
- Indjikian, Rouben & Siegel, Donald S., 2005.
"The Impact of Investment in IT on Economic Performance: Implications for Developing Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 681-700, May.
- Rouben Indjikain & Donald S. Siegel, 2004. "The Impact of Investment in IT on Economic Performance: Implications for Developing Countries," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0414, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Tybout, James R, 1992. "Linking Trade and Productivity: New Research Directions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 189-211, May.
- World Bank, 2002. "Information and Communication Technologies : A World Bank Group Strategy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15243.
- Ashish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella, 2005.
"The Globalization of the Software Industry: Perspectives and Opportunities for Developed and Developing Countries,"
in: Innovation Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 1-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella, 2004. "The Globalization of the Software Industry: Perspectives and Opportunities for Developed and Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 10538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saggi, Kamal, 2000.
"Trade, foreign direct investment, and international technology transfer : a survey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2349, The World Bank.
- Kamal Saggi, 2002. "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and International Technology Transfer: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 17(2), pages 191-235, September.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1992. "The Case for Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 69-85, Winter.
- Schware, Robert, 1992. "Software industry entry strategies for developing countries: A "walking on two legs" proposition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 143-164, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.