Keeping pace with globalisation innovation capability in Korea's telecommunications equipment industry
AbstractKorea is one of the four from the developing world to have built up substantial innovation capability in the design and manufacture of state-of-the-art telecommunications equipments. The paper undertakes a detailed review of this innovation capability and analyses its precise status during the time when the Korean economy was subject to a serious financial crisis. The paper maps out the sectoral system for innovation in the telecommunications equipment industry and measures the innovation capability in terms of a set of three separate indicators. The ensuing analysis shows that the country has built up substantial innovation capability in not just fixed telephony but also in mobile communication technologies. There has been some passage of this capability from the public research laboratory to private sector manufacturing firms. The Korean state has continued to support the public laboratory through a variety of financial grants and public technology procurement. However these traditional instruments of support are no longer valid in newer technologies such as mobile telephony. The innovation system has nevertheless achieved considerable sophistication that it is in a position to keep pace with changes in the technology frontier.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India in its series Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers with number 370.
Length: 72 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Innovation capability; Korea; Telecommunications; Digital switching systems; CDMA mobile telephony;
Other versions of this item:
- Sunil Mani, 2006. "Keeping Pace with Globalisation Innovation Capability in Korea's Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Papers id:745, eSocialSciences.
- L63 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Microelectronics; Computers; Communications Equipment
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-08-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mani, Sunil, 2003. "Deregulation, Entry of MNCs, Public Technology Procurement and Innovation Capability in India's Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Discussion Papers 1, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Mani, Sunil, 2004. "Coping with Globalisation An Analysis of Innovation Capability in Brazilian Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Discussion Papers 03, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- J Devika, 2007. "â€˜A People United In Developmentâ€™: Developmentalism In Modern Malayalee Identity," Working Papers id:1260, eSocialSciences.
- Sunil Mani, 2006.
"The Dragon vs. The Elephant: Comparative Analysis of Innovation Capability in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry in China and India,"
- Sunil Mani, 2005. "The Dragon vs the Elephant: Comparative analysis of innovation capability in the telecommunications equipment industry in China and India," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 373, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Nandana Baruah, 2006. "Antidumping Duties as a Measure of Contingent Protection: an Analysis of Indian Experience," Working Papers id:526, eSocialSciences.
- Govindan Parayil & K.J. Joseph, 2006. "Trade Liberalisation and Digital Divide: an Analysis of the Information Technology Agreement of WTO," Working Papers id:583, eSocialSciences.
- Sunil Mani, 2007. "The Growth Performance Of Indiaâ€™s Telecommunications Services Industry, 1991-2006. Can It Lead To The Emergence of a Domestic Manufacturing Hub?," Working Papers id:1279, eSocialSciences.
- P. Mohanan Pillai & N. Shanta, 2010. "Long Term Trends in the Growth and Structure of the Net State Domestic Product in Kerala," Working Papers id:2996, eSocialSciences.
- Hrushikesh Mallick, 2007. "Does Energy Consumption Fuel Economic Growth In India?," Working Papers id:1299, eSocialSciences.
- R. Mohan, 2010. "Taxing Powers and Developmental Role of the Indian States: A Study with Reference to Kerala," Working Papers id:2997, eSocialSciences.
- K.N. Nair & R Ramakumar, 2008. "Agrarian Distress and Rural Livelihoods A Study in Upputhara Panchayat Idukki District, Kerala," Working Papers id:1321, eSocialSciences.
- Pulapre Balakrishnan, 2008. "Visible Hand: Public Policy nd Economic Growth in the Nehru Era," Working Papers id:1355, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.