Tax Devolution and Grant Distribution to States in India Analysis and Roadmap for Alternatives
AbstractThe paper attempts to analyse the impact of devolution of taxes and distribution grants by the Centre to the States in India by taking fourteen major States for the time period 1980-81 to 2006-07. The study focuses on the impact of inter- State distribution of Central grants and taxes. Analysis reveals that formula based tax devolution has been more equalising than grants. Study finds that there is need to explore alternative mechanisms. [WP 419].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2421.
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
India; vertical and horizontal inmalance; finance commission; Gross Domestic Product; GDP; state; GSDP; service tax; indirect taxes; direct; central excise; revenue; devolution; taxes; grants; centre; states; distribution; taxes; devolution;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2010-02-27 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-02-27 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-GEO-2010-02-27 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PBE-2010-02-27 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2010-02-27 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dwight R. Lee, 1994. "Reverse Revenue Sharing: A Return to Fiscal Federalism," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 14(1), pages 75-85, Spring/Su.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Rao, Govinda, 2006. "Political Economy of Federalism in India," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195686937, Octomber.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.