Issues Before the Thirteenth Finance Commission
AbstractThe paper argues that irrespective of the wording of the Terms of Reference (ToR), the Commission would do well to focus on its primary task of recommending transfers to serve the objective of equity and incentives. While it is required to take into account a number of considerations, the focus should be on the transfer system. As an impartial body, the Commission should make a fair assessment of the union as well as state governments, ignoring the asymmetries in the wording of the ToR. [WP No. 55].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:1709.
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
transfer; public; policy; capital inflows; fiscal health; interest payments; deficit; budget liabilities; GDP; finance commission; terms of reference; TOR; India; governments; eauity; incentives; state; union; states;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, Nirvikar & Rao, Govinda, 2006. "Political Economy of Federalism in India," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780195686937, October.
- M. Govinda Rao & Sen, Tapas Kumar & Jena, Pratap R., 2008.
"Issues before the thirteenth finance commission,"
08/55, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Arvind Virmani, 2009.
"Macro-economic management of the Indian economy: capital flows, interest rates, and inflation,"
Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 189-214.
- Arvind Virmani, 2008. "Macro-economic Management of the Indian Economy: Capital Flows, Interest Rates and Inflation," Working Papers id:1353, eSocialSciences.
- M.Govinda Rao & R.Kavita Rao, 2005.
"Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India,"
- M. Govinda Rao & R. Kavita Rao, 2005. "Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India," India Policy Forum, Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 2(1), pages 55-122.
- M. Govinda Rao & Rao, R. Kavita, 2005. "Trends and issues in tax policy and reform in India," Working Papers tru1, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Rao, R. Kavita, 2008. "Goods and services tax for India," Working Papers 08/57, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- R. Kavita Rao, 2008.
"Goods and Services Tax for India,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22976, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rao, M Govinda, 1997.
"Invisible Transfers in Indian Federalism,"
Public Finance = Finances publiques, ,
, vol. 52(3-4), pages 429-48.
- M. Govinda Rao, 1998. "Invisible Transfers In Indian Federalism," Departmental Working Papers, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics 1998-01, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- R M Bird, 1986. "On measuring fiscal centralization and fiscal balance in federal states," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 4(4), pages 389-404, August.
- Chadha, Rajesh, 2009. "Moving to Goods and Services Tax in India: Impact on Indiaâ€™s Growth and International Trade," Working Papers, National Council of Applied Economic Research 103, National Council of Applied Economic Research.
- M.Govinda Rao & Tapas K. Sen & Pratap R Jena, 2008.
"Issues Before the Thirteenth Finance Commission,"
- Rajesh Chadha, 2009. "Moving to Goods and Services Tax in India : Impact on IndiaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Growth and International Trade," Trade Working Papers 23071, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kalirajan, Kaliappa & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2012. "Fiscal Decentralization and Development Outcomes in India: An Exploratory Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1511-1521.
- Abhay Pethe & B.M.Misra & Rakhe.P.B, 2008. "STRENGTHENING DECENTRALIZATION - Augmenting the Consolidated Fund of the states by th Thirteenth Finacnce Commission: A NORMATIVE APPROACH," Department of Economics, University of Mumbai, Mumbai Working Papers, Department of Economics, University of Mumbai, Mumbai 31, Department of Economics, University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.