Are Protective Labor Market Institutions Really at the Root of Unemployment? A Critical Perspective on the Statistical Evidence
AbstractThis report debunks the myth that labor market protections, such as unions and unemployment benefits, are responsible for high European unemployment rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) in its series CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs with number 2006-14.
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1611 Connecticut Ave, NW Suite 400, Washington, DC 20009
Phone: (202) 293-5380
Fax: (202) 588 1356
Web page: http://www.cepr.net/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-04-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-04-09 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
486, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel, 2005. "Unemployment in the OECD Since the 1960s. What Do We Know?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 1-27, 01.
- van Ours, Jan C & Vodopivec, Milan, 2005.
"How Changes in Benefits Entitlement Affect the Duration of Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4962, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ours, J.C. van & Vodopivec, M., 2005. "How Changes in Benefits Entitlement Affect the Duration of Unemployment," Discussion Paper 2005-30, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Virginia Hernanz & Franck Malherbet & Michele Pellizzari, 2004. "Take-Up of Welfare Benefits in OECD Countries: A Review of the Evidence," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 17, OECD Publishing.
- Rafael Lalive & Josef Zweimüller, .
"Benefit Entitlement and Unemployment Duration - The Role of Policy Endogeneity,"
IEW - Working Papers
112, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Lalive, Rafael & Zweimuller, Josef, 2004. "Benefit entitlement and unemployment duration: The role of policy endogeneity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2587-2616, December.
- Lalive, Rafael & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Benefit Entitlement and Unemployment Duration: The Role of Policy Endogeneity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3363, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lalive, Rafael & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Benefit Entitlement and Unemployment Duration: The Role of Policy Endogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 492, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manning, Alan, 1998. " Comment on B. Holmlund, "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice."," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 143-45, March.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Andrew Glyn, 2003.
"Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence,"
Economics Series Working Papers
168, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dean Baker & Andrew Glyn & David Howell & John Schmitt, 2002. "Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2002-17, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Amable, Bruno, 2003. "The Diversity of Modern Capitalism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261147, October.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999.
"Labor market institutions and economic performance,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- John Schmitt & Dean Baker, 2006. "Old Europe Goes to Work: Rising Employment Rates in the European Union," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2006-23, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Sebastian Weber, 2006. "Labor Market Structures, Trade and their Effect on Unemployment: A Theoretical Analysis and Empirical Investigation," IHEID Working Papers 22-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Carlin, Wendy & Soskice, David, 2007. "Reforms, Macroeconomic Policy and Economic Performance in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 6415, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Fernández & Enrique Palazuelos, 2009. "Labor productivity: a comparative analysis of the European Union and United States, for the period 1994-2007," Working Papers wp208, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Sharkh, Miriam Abu, 2008. "Are there optimal global configurations of labour market flexibility and security? : Tackling the "flexicurity" oxymoron," ILO Working Papers 424147, International Labour Organization.
- Harald Hagemann & Ralf Rukwid, 2007. "Perspectives of Workers with Low Qualifications in Germany under the Pressures of Globalization and Technical Progress," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 291/2007, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Richard Freeman, 2008.
"Labor Market Institutions Around the World,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0844, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2007. "Labor Market Institutions Around the World," NBER Working Papers 13242, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2008. "Labor market institutions around the world," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19647, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00185083 is not listed on IDEAS
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.