Effective Demand and Growth: An Analysis of the Alternative Closures of Keynesian Models
AbstractThis paper presents a one-sector model where investment and autonomous expenditures determine the growth rate of income. The analysis starts with the dynamics of demand-led growth and the interaction between investment and autonomous expenditures. Since by definition investment determines the growth rate of capital, the paper uses the relation between demand-led growth, multifactor productivity growth, and labor-force growth to analyze the alternative closures of the supply side. After discussing how partially endogenous labor force and multifactor productivity may relax supply constraints, the paper shows how changes in the average propensity to save may accommodate investment and autonomous expenditures when the economy reaches its maximum growth rate. Since nothing prevents the functional distribution of income from changing before that happens, the paper concludes with a two-species model (for the labor share of income and the income-capital ratio) to illustrate how demand-led growth can generate business fluctuations while remaining below supply constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School in its series SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. with number 2001-05.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
growth; effective demand; Keynesian; demand-led;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- B22 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Macroeconomics
- B50 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-09-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2002-09-21 (Development)
- NEP-PKE-2002-09-21 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986. "Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- John S. L. McCombie, 1983. "Kaldor's Laws in Retrospect," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 414-429, April.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1975. "What Remains of Kaldor's Law?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(337), pages 10-19, March.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-15, March.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 1983. "A Plain Man's Guide to Kaldor's Growth Laws," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 345-358, April.
- Florencia Médici, 2011. "A Cointegration Analysis on the Principle of Effective Demand in Argentina (1980-2007)," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(61-62), pages 103-137, January -.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bridget Fisher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.