Exports dynamics and information spillovers: evidence from Spanish firms
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of a firm’s export decision and focuses on the identification of spillovers from neighbouring firms. We use a panel of Spanish firms that started to export to at least one of 95 countries over the 2000-2006 period. Detailed data on the location of firms as well as on the destinations of their exports allows us to analyze the presence of spillovers across firms exporting to different countries. Results show evidence of information spillovers, i.e. new exporters acquire valuable information from other local firms on foreign consumer tastes, product standards or customs administration in a particular market. However the selection of the most productive firms to the most difficult markets decreases the impact of spillovers on firms exporting to these countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia in its series Working Papers with number 1103.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Edifici Departamental Oriental, Campus dels Tarongers, Avda. dels Tarongers, S/N (4P15), 46022 - València
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
export decision; export market; agglomeration; spillovers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-01-23 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EUR-2011-01-23 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INT-2011-01-23 (International Trade)
- NEP-URE-2011-01-23 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberto Ramos & Enrique Moral-Benito, 2013.
"Agglomeration matters for trade,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1316, Banco de Espa�a.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.