Poverty and Macroeconomic Policies: Chile 1987-1994
AbstractPoverty has declined substantially since 1987 in Chile. Has this reduction in poverty benefited all groups and regions? Are this specific sectors of the economy that have been left out of this reduction? These and other question are discussed in this paper. To do so, we characterize the poor in terms of education, employment, demographics and economic activity, as well as the economic policy framework prevailing during the last decade. It also discusses issues such as informality and minimum wages. This paper shows that there are no significant biases in poverty changes across de gender or rural-urban distinction. In addition, education has increased at all levels of income and demographics have not shown significant changes. Overall, one can conclude that the reduction of poverty has been equitable with just one exception, which is that poverty is much more concentrated in the non-mining primary sectors, mainly agriculture.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 27.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-05-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAM-2002-05-14 (Central & South America)
- NEP-LTV-2002-05-03 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perotti, Roberto, 1996. " Growth, Income Distribution, and Democracy: What the Data Say," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 149-87, June.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 2004.
"Macroeconomic Adjustment and the Poor: Analytical Issues and Cross-Country Evidence,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18, pages 351-408, 07.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard, 2002. "Macroeconomic adjustment and the poor : analytical issues and cross-country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2788, The World Bank.
- Raimundo Soto & Arístides Torche, 2004.
"Spatial Inequality, Migration and Economic Growth in Chile,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 41(124), pages 401-424.
- Raimundo Soto & ArÃstides Torche, 2004. "Spatial Inequality, Migration, and Economic Growth in Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 274, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.