Copula-based measures of dependence structure in assets returns
AbstractCopula modeling has become an increasingly popular tool in finance to model assets returns dependency. In essence, copulas enable us to extract the dependence structure from the joint distribution function of a set of random variables and, at the same time, to separate the dependence structure from the univariate marginal behavior. In this study, based on U.S. stock data, we illustrate how tail-dependency tests may be misleading as a tool to select a copula that closely mimics the dependency structure of the data. This problem becomes more severe when the data is scaled by conditional volatility and/or filtered out for serial correlation. The discussion is complemented, under more general settings, with Monte Carlo simulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 228.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2008. "Copula-based measures of dependence structure in assets returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(14), pages 3615-3628.
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2007-04-21 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2007-04-21 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FMK-2007-04-21 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2007-04-21 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosenberg, Joshua V. & Schuermann, Til, 2006.
"A general approach to integrated risk management with skewed, fat-tailed risks,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 569-614, March.
- Joshua V. Rosenberg & Til Schuermann, 2004. "A general approach to integrated risk management with skewed, fat-tailed risks," Staff Reports 185, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- U. Cherubini & E. Luciano, 2002. "Bivariate option pricing with copulas," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 69-85.
- Bartram, Sohnke M. & Taylor, Stephen J. & Wang, Yaw-Huei, 2007. "The Euro and European financial market dependence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1461-1481, May.
- Panchenko, Valentyn, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit test for copulas," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 176-182.
- Umberto Cherubini & Elisa Luciano, 2003. "Pricing and Hedging Credit Derivatives with Copulas," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 32(2), pages 219-242, 07.
- Ser-Huang Poon, 2004. "Extreme Value Dependence in Financial Markets: Diagnostics, Models, and Financial Implications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 581-610.
- Markus Junker & Alexander Szimayer & Niklas Wagner, 2004. "Nonlinear Term Structure Dependence: Copula Functions, Empirics, and Risk Implications," Econometrics 0401007, EconWPA.
- Junker, Markus & Szimayer, Alex & Wagner, Niklas, 2006. "Nonlinear term structure dependence: Copula functions, empirics, and risk implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1171-1199, April.
- Giesecke, Kay, 2004. "Correlated default with incomplete information," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1521-1545, July.
- Mike So & Alex Tse, 2009. "Dynamic Modeling of Tail Risk: Applications to China, Hong Kong and Other Asian Markets," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 183-210, September.
- Lee, Sangwook & Kim, Min Jae & Kim, Soo Yong, 2011. "Interest rates factor model," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(13), pages 2531-2548.
- Wang, Zong-Run & Chen, Xiao-Hong & Jin, Yan-Bo & Zhou, Yan-Ju, 2010. "Estimating risk of foreign exchange portfolio: Using VaR and CVaR based on GARCH–EVT-Copula model," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4918-4928.
- Michael C. M\"unnix & Rudi Sch\"afer, 2011. "A Copula Approach on the Dynamics of Statistical Dependencies in the US Stock Market," Papers 1102.1099, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2011.
- Barbedo, Claudio H.S. & de Melo, Eduardo F.L., 2012. "Joint dynamics of Brazilian interest rate yields and macro variables under a no-arbitrage restriction," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 64(5), pages 364-376.
- Münnix, Michael C. & Schäfer, Rudi, 2011. "A copula approach on the dynamics of statistical dependencies in the US stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(23), pages 4251-4259.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.