Capital Utilization and the Willingness to Rest: A General Equilibrium Analysis
AbstractThis paper develops a general equilibrium model acknowledging that greater capital utilization requires either longer hours or unsocial schedules. Contrary to the popular depreciation-in-use models, capital utilization does not only concern the firms' organisational choices but also labor supply behaviours, since an increase in the workweek of capital affects the households' welfare. Capital utilization and shiftworking are endogenously determined as equilibrium outcomes though - this was not the case in previous studies linking capital utilization to work conditions. A number of relevant cases where capital utilization does vary over the cycle are numerically illustrated : factor complementarity, quasi-fixity of input stocks and nominal rigidities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 0391.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, T.F. & Cho, J.O., 1991.
"The Business Cycle with Nominal Contracts,"
90-07, Rochester, Business - General.
- repec:fth:inseep:9928 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Hansen, Gary D., 1998. "The role of monetary shocks in equilibrium business cycle theory: Three examples," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 605-617, May.
- Licandro, Omar, .
"Q investment models, factor complementary and monopolistic competition,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/2794, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Omar LICANDRO, 1992. "Q Investment Models, Factor Complementarity and Monopolistic Competition," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1992014, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Sneessens, Henri R., 1987. "Investment and the inflation-unemployment tradeoff in a macroeconomic rationing model with monopolistic competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 781-808, April.
- Jean-François Fagnart & Omar Licandro & Franck Portier, 1999. "Firm Heterogeneity, Capacity Utilization and the Business Cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(2), pages 433-455, April.
- Kostiuk, Peter F, 1990. "Compensating Differentials for Shift Work," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1054-75, October.
- Collard, Fabrice & Dupaigne, Martial, 2004.
"Output Dynamics and the Workweek of Capital,"
IDEI Working Papers
337, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Kydland, Finn E. & Prescott, Edward C., 1988. "The workweek of capital and its cyclical implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 343-360.
- Mark Bils & Jang-Ok Cho, 1993.
"Cyclical factor utilization,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
79, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Foss, Murray F, 1981. "Long-Run Changes in the Workweek of Fixed Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 58-63, May.
- Martial DUPAIGNE, 1998. "Capital operating time and economic fluctuations," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1998031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Wen, Yi, 1998. "Capacity Utilization under Increasing Returns to Scale," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 7-36, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.