Idiosyncratic Uncertainty, Capacity Utilization and the Business Cycle
AbstractIn a stochastic dynamic general equilibrium framework, we introduce the concept of variable capacity utilization (as opposed to the concept of capital utilization). We consider an economy where imperfectly competitive firms use a putty-clay technology and decide on their productive capacity level under uncertainty. An idiosyncratic uncertainty about the exact position of the demand curve faced by each firm explains why some productive capacities may remain idle in the sequel and why individual capacity utilization rates differ across firms. The capacity under-utilization at the aggregate level thus hides a diversity of microeconomic situations. The variablity of the capacity utilization allows for a good description of some of the main stylized facts of the busines cycle, propagates and magnifies aggregate technological shocks and generates endogenous persistence (i.e., the output growth rate displays positive serial correlation).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 96-06.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: May 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Frank Portier & Omar Licandro & Jean Francois Fagnart, . "Idiosyncratic uncertainty, capacity utilization and the business cycle," Working Papers 96-11, FEDEA.
- Portier, Franck & Fagnart, Jean-François & Licandro, Omar, 1996. "Idiosyncratic uncertainty, capacity utilization and the business cycle," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9607, CEPREMAP.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.