Deciding on Monetary Integration: An Operational Approach
AbstractWe develop a simple, n-country model to consider the costs and benefits of joining a monetary union. Our factor-OCA framework encompasses different approaches and allows us to consider the optimal composition of a monetary union for all the potential members. We illustrate the model in practice with various simulations and we develop two empirical applications based on expanding EMU and on whether there would be a benefit to deepening Nafta to be a monetary union. While some commentators have called for a one-world currency, we find full monetary integration has costs for some countries and benefits for others, perhaps explaining why this remains a controversial issue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government in its series Working Paper Series with number rwp07-041.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 79 JFK Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Web page: http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/research/working_papers/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-08-31 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CMP-2008-08-31 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2008-08-31 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-08-31 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poole, William, 1970.
"Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216, May.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1969. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Special Studies Papers 2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1994.
"Monetary and exchange rate arrangements for NAFTA,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 125-165, February.
- Bean, Charles R, 1992.
"Economic and Monetary Union in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.