A Stable Model for Euro Area Money Demand: Revisiting the Role of Wealth
AbstractIn this paper we present an empirically stable money demand model for Euro area M3. We show that housing wealth is an important explanatory variable of long-run money demand that captures the trending behaviour of M3 velocity, in particular its shift in the first half of this decade. We show that the current financial crisis has no impact on the stability of our money demand model. JEL Classification: C22, C32, E41
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1111.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-11-21 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2009-11-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2009-11-21 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- De Santis, Roberto A & Favero, Carlo A. & Roffia, Barbara, 2012.
"Euro Area Money Demand and International Portfolio Allocation: A Contribution to Assessing Risks to Price Stability,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8957, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Santis, Roberto A. & Favero, Carlo A. & Roffia, Barbara, 2013. "Euro area money demand and international portfolio allocation: A contribution to assessing risks to price stability," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 377-404.
- De Santis, Roberto A. & Favero, Carlo A. & Roffia, Barbara, 2008. "Euro area money demand and international portfolio allocation: a contribution to assessing risks to price stability," Working Paper Series 0926, European Central Bank.
- Roberto A. De Santis & Carlo A. Favero & Barbara Roffia, 2012. "Euro Area Money Demand and International Portfolio Allocation: A Contribution to Assessing Risks to Price Stability," Working Papers 432, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Ansgar Belke & Robert Czudaj, 2010.
"Is Euro Area Money Demand (Still) Stable? – Cointegrated VAR versus Single Equation Techniques,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0171, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke & Robert Czudaj, 2010. "Is Euro Area Money Demand (Still) Stable? Cointegrated VAR Versus Single Equation Techniques," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 56(4), pages 285-315.
- Ansgar Belke & Robert Czudaj, 2010. "Is Euro Area Money Demand (Still) Stable?: Cointegrated VAR versus Single Equation Techniques," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 982, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Matteo Luciani & Antoniomaria Conti & Matteo Barigozzi, 2013.
"Do Euro Area Countries Respond Asymmetrically to the Common Monetary Policy?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/153330, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Antonio Conti & Matteo Luciani, 2012. "Do Euro area countries respond asymmetrically to the common monetary policy?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 43344, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Antonio M. Conti & Matteo Luciani, 2013. "Do euro area countries respond asymmetrically to the common monetary policy?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 923, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dieter Nautz & Ulrike Rondorf, 2010.
"The (In)stability of Money Demand in the Euro Area: Lessons from a Cross-Country Analysis,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2010-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Dieter Nautz & Ulrike Rondorf, 2011. "The (in)stability of money demand in the euro area: lessons from a cross-country analysis," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 539-553, November.
- Setzer, Ralph & van den Noord, Paul & Wolff, Guntram B., 2010.
"Heterogeneity in money holdings across euro area countries: The role of housing,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2010,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Setzer, Ralph & van den Noord, Paul & Wolff, Guntram B., 2011. "Heterogeneity in money holdings across euro area countries: The role of housing," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 764-780.
- Ralph Setzer & Paul van den Noord & Guntram B. Wolff, 2010. "Heterogeneity in money holdings across euro area countries: the role of housing," European Economy - Economic Papers 407, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Seitz, Franz & von Landesberger, Julian, 2010. "Household money holdings in the euro area: An explorative investigation," Working Paper Series 1238, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Antonio Conti, 2010. "On the Sources of Euro Area Money Demand Stability. A Time-Varying Cointegration Analysis," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-022, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- El-Shagi, Makram & Giesen, Sebastian, 2013. "Money and inflation: Consequences of the recent monetary policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 520-537.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Antonio Conti, 2013. "On the Stability of Euro Area Money Demand and its Implications for Monetary Policy," LEM Papers Series 2013/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.