Estimating the trend of M3 income velocity underlying the reference value for monetary growth
AbstractThis paper documents the analytical work that was carried out for the 2001 review of the assumption for the trend in M3 income velocity used to calculate the reference value for M3 growth. We analyse the medium-term trend in velocity using univariate time series tools and different money demand models. In addition, some cross-checking is carried out to address data compilation issues related to the accession of Greece in 2001 and to different weighting schemes used to aggregate historical euro area data. It is found that the trend decline in M3 incomevelocity over the medium term is within a range of 1/2% to 1% per year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Occasional Paper Series with number 03.
Length: 64 pages
Date of creation: May 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- Joaquim Vieira Ferreira Levy & Alessandro Calza & Dieter Gerdesmeier, 2001. "Euro Area Money Demand: Measuring the Opportunity Costs Appropriately," IMF Working Papers 01/179, International Monetary Fund.
- Otmar Issing, 2002. "Central bank perspectives on stabilization policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV, pages 15-36.
- Frank Dierick & Fatima Pires & Martin Scheicher & Kai Gereon Spitzer, 2005. "The New Basel Capital Framework and its implementation in the European Union," Occasional Paper Series 42, European Central Bank.
- Marattin, Luigi & Marzo, Massimiliano & Zagaglia, Paolo, 2011.
"A welfare perspective on the fiscal–monetary policy mix: The role of alternative fiscal instruments,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 920-952.
- L. Marattin & M. Marzo & P. Zagaglia, 2010. "A welfare perspective on the fiscal-monetary policy mix: The role of alternative fiscal instruments," Working Papers wp720, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Giacomo Sbrana, 2008. "On the use of area-wide models in the Euro-zone," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 499-518, October.
- Abelardo Salazar Neaves & Oliver Hossfeld & Jan Hagen & Kai Carstensen, 2008.
"Money Demand Stability and Inflation: Prediction in the Four Largest EMU Countries,"
Kiel Working Papers
1443, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kai Carstensen & Jan Hagen & Oliver Hossfeld & Abelardo Salazar Neaves, 2009. "Money Demand Stability And Inflation Prediction In The Four Largest Emu Countries," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(1), pages 73-93, 02.
- Kai Carstensen & Jan Hagen & Oliver Hossfeld & Abelardo Salazar Neaves, 2008. "Money Demand Stability and Inflation Prediction in the Four Largest EMU Countries," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 61, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Otmar Issing, 2002. "Monetary policy in a changing economic environment," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 183-205.
- Kai Carstensen, 2003. "Is European Money Demand Still Stable?," Kiel Working Papers 1179, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- André Geis & Arnaud Mehl & Stefan Wredenborg, 2004. "The international role of the euro - evidence from bonds issued by non-euro area residents," Occasional Paper Series 18, European Central Bank.
- Daniela Russo & Terry L. Hart & Chryssa Papathanassiou, 2004. "Governance of securities clearing and settlement systems," Occasional Paper Series 21, European Central Bank.
- SÃ²nia MuÃ±oz, 2006. "Suppressed Inflation and Money Demand in Zimbabwe," IMF Working Papers 06/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian Thimann & Regine Wölfinger & Thierry Bracke & Rita Bessone Basto & Ole Hollensen & Stephan von Stenglin & Santiago Fernández de Lis & Pierre-François Weber & Marco Committeri & Rolf Pauli, 2005. "Managing financial crises in emerging market economies - experience with the involvement of private sector creditors," Occasional Paper Series 32, European Central Bank.
- Adalbert Winkler & Roland Beck, 2006. "Macroeconomic and financial stability challenges for acceding and candidate countries," Occasional Paper Series 48, European Central Bank.
- Leena Mörttinen & Paolo Poloni & Patrick Sandars & Jukka Vesala, 2005. "Analysing banking sector conditions - how to use macro-prudential indicators," Occasional Paper Series 26, European Central Bank.
- Heimonen, Kari, 2010. "Money and equity returns in the Euro area," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 152-169.
- Henrik Enderlein & Johannes Lindner & Oscar Calvo-Gonzalez & Raymond Ritter, 2005.
"The EU budget – how much scope for institutional reform?,"
Occasional Paper Series
27, European Central Bank.
- Henrik Enderlein & Johannes Lindner & Oscar Calvo-Gonzalez & Raymond Ritter, 2005. "The EU budget – how much scope for institutional reform?," Public Economics 0509005, EconWPA.
- Filippo Altissimo & Evaggelia Georgiou & Teresa Sastre & Maria Teresa Valderrama & Gabriel Sterne & Marc Stocker & Mark Weth & Karl Whelan & Alpo Willman, 2005. "Wealth and asset price effects on economic activity," Occasional Paper Series 29, European Central Bank.
- Calza, Alessandro & Manrique, Marta & Sousa, João, 2003. "Aggregate loans to the euro area private sector," Working Paper Series 0202, European Central Bank.
- Gerlach, Stefan, 2003. "The ECB's Two Pillars," CEPR Discussion Papers 3689, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Graff, 2008. "The Quantity Theory of Money in Historical Perspective," KOF Working papers 08-196, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Maria Gabriella Briotti, 2005. "Economic reactions to public finance consolidation - a survey of the literature," Occasional Paper Series 38, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.