Strategic Approach to Strengthening the International Competitiveness in Knowledge Based Industries : Electronics Industry
AbstractIt is generally understood that while the IT software and service sector in India recorded unprecedented growth rate in a sustained manner for more than a decade and established credibility in the international market, the hardware sector, both computer hardware and other electronics equipment and components, has shown a decelerating trend. At the same time, being a signatory to Information Technology Agreement of WTO, India is committed to reduce the tariff rates on a wide range of IT goods to zero level by 2005 leading to unprecedented import competition. Hence it is important that the industry equip itself to meet the import competition and enhance its export competitiveness. Against this background the present paper analyzed performance (both export and production) of electronics industry and comes out with the broad contours of a strategic approach towards promoting the international competitiveness of Indias electronics industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Microeconomics Working Papers with number 22102.
Date of creation: Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
electronics industry; competitiveness; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L63 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Microelectronics; Computers; Communications Equipment
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lall, Sanjaya & Kumar, Rajiv, 1981. "Firm-level export performance in an inward-looking economy: The Indian engineering industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 453-463, May.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Soete, Luc, 1987. "The impact of technological innovation on international trade patterns: The evidence reconsidered," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 101-130, August.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2003. "Liberalization, Firm Size and R&D performance: A Firm Level Study of Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," MPRA Paper 17079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Desai, Ashok V., 1980. "The origin and direction of industrial R&D in India," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 74-96, January.
- Basile, Roberto, 2001. "Export behaviour of Italian manufacturing firms over the nineties: the role of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1185-1201, October.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2003. "Rise of service sector outward foreign direct investment from Indian economy: trends, patterns, and determinants," MPRA Paper 17078, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A. Aggarwal, 2002. "Liberalisation, Multinational Enterprises and Export Performance: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 119-137.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1990. "Book Review: Multinational Corporations and National Technological Capability," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 25(2), pages 275-276, July.
- Glejser, Herbert & Jacquemin, Alexis & Petit, Jean, 1980. "Exports in an Imperfect Competition Framework: An Analysis of 1,446 Exporters," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(3), pages 507-24, May.
- Basant, Rakesh, 1997. "Technology strategies of large enterprises in Indian industry: Some explorations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1683-1700, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.