Does innovativeness matter for international competitiveness in developing countries?: The case of Turkish manufacturing industries
AbstractI. Introduction. - II. Evolution of the Theory of International Trade: Attitudes towards the Technology Factor and the Schumpeterian Viewpoint as a Rationale for Studies at the Firm-Level. - III. A Survey of Firm-Level Studies on the Determinants of Export Performance with an Emphasis on Technology Factor. - IV. Technological and International Competitveness of the Turkish Manufacturing Industry. - V. Determinants of International Competitveness: Estimation Results. - VI. Concluding Remarks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 33 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Other versions of this item:
- Emre Özçelik & Erol Taymaz, 2001. "Does Innovativeness Matter for International Competitiveness in Developing Countries? The Case of Turkish Manufacturing Industries," ERC Working Papers 0107, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Jul 2001.
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969. "A New View of Technological Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 79(315), pages 573-78, September.
- Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Innovation and export behaviour at the firm level," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 829-841, April.
- Kirim, Arman, 1990. "Technology and exports: The case of the Turkish manufacturing industries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(10), pages 1351-1362, October.
- Freel, Mark S., 2003. "Sectoral patterns of small firm innovation, networking and proximity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 751-770, May.
- William H. Branson, 1971. "U.S. Comparative Advantage: Some Further Results," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 2(3), pages 754-759.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 2000. "The determinants of export performance: A firmlevel study in Italian Manufacturing," Working Papers 142, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1995.
"Trade Strategy, Investment and Exports: Another Look at East Asia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1305, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik, 1995. "Trade Strategy, Investment, and Exports: Another Look at East Asia," NBER Working Papers 5339, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2001. "The determinants of export performance: A firm-level study of Italian manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(3), pages 450-472, September.
- Lowinger, Thomas C, 1975. "The Technology Factor and the Export Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(2), pages 221-36, June.
- Pamukcu, Teoman, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and Innovation Decisions of Firms: Lessons from Post-1980 Turkey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1443-1458, August.
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998.
"Is Learning By Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence From Colombia, Mexico, And Morocco,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947, August.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," NBER Working Papers 5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bell, Martin & Albu, Michael, 1999. "Knowledge Systems and Technological Dynamism in Industrial Clusters in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1715-1734, September.
- Seev Hirsch & Ilan Bijaoui, 1985. "R&D intensity and export performance: A micro view," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 121(2), pages 238-251, June.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1971. "Determinants of the Commodity Structure of U.S. Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 126-46, March.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Kumar, Rajiv, 1981. "Firm-level export performance in an inward-looking economy: The Indian engineering industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 453-463, May.
- Nassimbeni, Guido, 2001. "Technology, innovation capacity, and the export attitude of small manufacturing firms: a logit/tobit model," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 245-262, February.
- Sveikauskas, Leo A, 1983. "Science and Technology in United States Foreign Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(371), pages 542-54, September.
- Basile, Roberto, 2001. "Export behaviour of Italian manufacturing firms over the nineties: the role of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1185-1201, October.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2001.
"Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-Oriented Policies in Mauritius,"
1, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2002. "Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-oriented Policies in Mauritius," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 87-104.
- Glejser, Herbert & Jacquemin, Alexis & Petit, Jean, 1980. "Exports in an Imperfect Competition Framework: An Analysis of 1,446 Exporters," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(3), pages 507-24, May.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Dahlman, Carl J. & Ross-Larson, Bruce & Westphal, Larry E., 1987. "Managing technological development: Lessons from the newly industrializing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 759-775, June.
- Sanjaya Lall, 1986. "Technological development and export performance in LDCs: Leading engineering and chemical firms in India," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 80-92, March.
- Elif Bascavusoglu-Moreau & Mustafa Colakoglu, 2011. "Impact of SME policies on innovation capabilities: The Turkish case," STPS Working Papers 1105, STPS - Science and Technology Policy Studies Center, Middle East Technical University, revised May 2011.
- Christopher F Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2012. "R&D Expenditures and Geographical Sales Diversification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 794, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Nov 2012.
- El Elj, Moez, 2009. "R&D and Innovation Empirical Analysis for Tunisian Firms," MPRA Paper 18128, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mickey Folkeringa & Andre van Stel & Joris Meijaard, 2005. "Innovation, strategic renewal and its effect on small firm performance," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-36, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- López Rodríguez, José & García Rodríguez, Rafael M., 2005. "Technology and export behaviour: A resource-based view approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 539-557, October.
- Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2003. "Trade and Technology Transfers: a Comparative Study of Turkey, India and China," Working Papers 2003-16, CEPII research center.
- Hung, Shiu-Wan & Wang, An-Pang, 2012. "Entrepreneurs with glamour? DEA performance characterization of high-tech and older-established industries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1146-1153.
- Nur Hazelen Mat Rusok Author_Email: email@example.com & Mohamed Husny Basir & PM Dr. Zainudin Awang & Farahiyah Akmal Mat Nawi, 2011. "The Influence Of Constructive Thought Pattern Strategies On Entrepreneur Innovative Behavior," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-034-087, Conference Master Resources.
- Tomohiko Inui & Richard Kneller & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Danny McGowan, .
"Globalisation, Multinationals and Productivity in Japan’s Lost Decade,"
10/04, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Kneller, Richard & McGowan, Danny & Inui, Tomohiko & Matsuura, Toshiyuki, 2012. "Globalisation, multinationals and productivity in Japan’s lost decade," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 110-128.
- Karantininis, Kostas & Sauer, Johannes & Furtan, William Hartley, 2010. "Innovation and integration in the agri-food industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 112-120, April.
- Sule Ozler & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmaz, 2007.
"History Matters for the Export Decision Plant Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry,"
ERC Working Papers
0704, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2007.
- Özler, Sule & Taymaz, Erol & YIlmaz, Kamil, 2009. "History Matters for the Export Decision: Plant-Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 479-488, February.
- Kamil Yılmaz & Şule Özler & Erol Taymaz, 2007. "History Matters for the Export Decision: Plant Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0706, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Horácio C. Faustino & Joana C. Lima & Pedro Verga Matos, 2012. "Exports, Productivity and Innovation: Evidence from Portugal using micro data," Working Papers 2012/13, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Etzkowitz, Henry & de Mello, Jose Manoel Carvalho & Almeida, Mariza, 2005. "Towards "meta-innovation" in Brazil: The evolution of the incubator and the emergence of a triple helix," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 411-424, May.
- Duenas-Caparas, Maria Teresa S., 2006. "Determinants of Export Performance in the Philippine Manufacturing Sector," Discussion Papers DP 2006-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.